My Radish Bites Me

whoacowboy

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
Town of Clayton
I have a not so nice hen named Radish. She bites, hard. She actually will see a finger to bite and goes after it. When there is food in my hand, she doesn't take the food, she takes the finger! I have never feared a hen before! But when she struts up I just dump the food to prevent a wound. Last night we picked her up to worm her and she lashed out at our faces. Why? I have never put her in a situation where she should fear us. However, I got her when she was already laying and perhaps something happened where she came from. I have two other hens from this farm though, and they are sweet as can be. p.s. she IS a hen. I've watched her drop an egg myself.

She probably feels she is higher in the pecking order than you. She's saying "get away from my food". You could try putting her in the subordinate position so that she thinks you are a rooster or at the very least an aggressive hen hahaha

Ah, I see. She is stubburn, too. All the other birds just went along with the worming. It was very calm until it was her turn. I will have to try that. Do you mean just hold her down with some pressure using my hand? Of course, not hurting her.

I think you need to show her that you are the head hen. The next time she tries anything, try to grab her and hold her down. If you can't get her, flick her back so she knows that you won't take it.

Don't hurt her, just push her down on each shoulder. If she submits she'll go into a squat position. I also "peck" back anyone who pecks me. I just put my fingers together and give them a mock peck.

The only time I have that problem was with a broody who actually would go after you like a rooster would, she would be off the nest out to go poop but if yo got in her way look out!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom