My reason for joining BYC....

First off, I admire you both, @KaTim0719 and @Mason Farm and Ranch for not listening euthanizing your special birds. I've lived with many special needs pets (currently, a blind rescue dog and an eyeless cat,) both two- and four-legged. They accept their lives as is and can have wonderful existences, especially when someone cares as much as you both do.

I am sorry that Millsap couldn't have spent more time with you; a short well-loved life is still a life that matters. And, best wishes for Bea and Henry; they are clearly also living their best lives.

Welcome to BYC! I'm so glad you found your people ♡ Me too.
I actually have 3 sight impaired hens.
1st one is Manono, a buff Brahma. I screwed up and had the humidity off on my incubator for a few days... and she was the only one who hatched. She was failure to thrive, then got wet pox. I thought she was a boy and came so close to culling her soooo many times. But I did not, just kept doing it one day at a time. I had an order of light Brahmas that were 3 weeks younger than her but quickly surpassed her in every way, so I grew her out in my bottom brooder. I had a hatch of new chicks above her and at 4.5 months old, because of their chirping, she bonded to them.
39735.jpeg
well, actually, she obsessed over them, so I called her the nanny and she looked out for then as if they were her own.
39736.jpeg
39734.jpeg
she sat and watched them all day, for days on end, so, I finally started putting her in the day brooder with them...
39733.jpeg
She watched them while they grew and transitioned.
39732.jpeg
39730.jpeg
She is not completely blind but severely sight impaired.

One of her babies, Hope, scratched her eye and got a terrible infection that took me months to resolve, and unfortunately, she lost sight in the effected eye. She hatched her first clutch a few months ago, a wonderful and generous mom.
20230616_065004.jpg
20230705_061857.jpg

Possibly the best mom I have had to date, the chicks are friendly and well adjusted. Mom has integrated back into the flock.
Hope's babies this eve. Very fun.
20230731_181424.jpg

My flock today, with Manono and Hope in there somewhere....
20230731_092907.jpg
20230708_162507~2.jpg

Last but not least is Nina. A fellow chicken person was unable to care for or fix her eye infections. She is not able to join my flock but I enjoy her. Separate but can hear the flock, she seems to be pretty happy. Completely blind, she still knows when it is snack time. She is a joy and all girls have taught and still teach me a enormous amount of really awesome stuff. 20230726_082800.jpg

I hatched a TRUE albino countrix quail, and he was blind. Had eyes soo pink, you could almost see through them. Was soo confused, I had only been hatching quail for maybe a couple of months. Whenever I researched this online, nothing but negativity. "WONT MAKE IT PAST 48 HOURS" "WONT BE ABLE TO EAT". I mean negative, negative, and more negativy. Finally read a thread in BYC and it was soo postive, so I joined and want to say thank you. Millsap born September 2022...R.I.P July 2023.
View attachment 3595806
What a perfect name! I am so sorry he had such a short life. Thanks for giving it the best chance possible. :hugs :hugs

Welcome to BYC! I'm so glad you found your people ♡ Me too.
I actually have 3 sight impaired hens.
1st one is Manono, a buff Brahma. I screwed up and had the humidity off on my incubator for a few days... and she was the only one who hatched. She was failure to thrive, then got wet pox. I thought she was a boy and came so close to culling her soooo many times. But I did not, just kept doing it one day at a time. I had an order of light Brahmas that were 3 weeks younger than her but quickly surpassed her in every way, so I grew her out in my bottom brooder. I had a hatch of new chicks above her and at 4.5 months old, because of their chirping, she bonded to them. View attachment 3595866well, actually, she obsessed over them, so I called her the nanny and she looked out for then as if they were her own.View attachment 3595867View attachment 3595868she sat and watched them all day, for days on end, so, I finally started putting her in the day brooder with them... View attachment 3595869She watched them while they grew and transitioned. View attachment 3595870View attachment 3595871She is not completely blind but severely sight impaired.

One of her babies, Hope, scratched her eye and got a terrible infection that took me months to resolve, and unfortunately, she lost sight in the effected eye. She hatched her first clutch a few months ago, a wonderful and generous mom.View attachment 3595877View attachment 3595874
Possibly the best mom I have had to date, the chicks are friendly and well adjusted. Mom has integrated back into the flock.
Hope's babies this eve. Very fun.View attachment 3595873
My flock today, with Manono and Hope in there somewhere....View attachment 3595879View attachment 3595885
Last but not least is Nina. A fellow chicken person was unable to care for or fix her eye infections. She is not able to join my flock but I enjoy her. Separate but can hear the flock, she seems to be pretty happy. Completely blind, she still knows when it is snack time. She is a joy and all girls have taught and still teach me a enormous amount of really awesome stuff.View attachment 3595887
Hope it's ok to hijack this thread and ask you - do you have plans for that chick brooder/pen you built or did you wing it? It's EXACTLY what ive been looking for.

Hope it's ok to hijack this thread and ask you - do you have plans for that chick brooder/pen you built or did you wing it? It's EXACTLY what ive been looking for.
The 2 story? No plans, just winged it, lol. Actually knew what I wanted and was not that hard. I can PM you dimensions etc.
If by some chance you are talking about the day brooder or playpen. I winged that one. Just scrap materials after a hen came home with chicks. Love it and use it often for many things.

The 2 story? No plans, just winged it, lol. Actually knew what I wanted and was not that hard. I can PM you dimensions etc.
If by some chance you are talking about the day brooder or playpen. I winged that one. Just scrap materials after a hen came home with chicks. Love it and use it often for many things.
😆❤️. Winging it is what we do..

No I meant the one on the floor. Sorry should have specified

Back
Top Bottom