My Red is dying?!!?

thiggins

Chirping
Mar 28, 2017
Texas
What is wrong with Red?!!?
I tried to take a video, it won’t allow me to load it. She’s basically gasping for air. Kinda like agonal breathing but she’s still active and alive. Sounds like bronchitis but no discharge from eyes or beak. She’s 5 years old. She has been staying in the coop the last few days and only comes out to eat and drink. She doesn’t sit in roost. She stays on the floor. Not broody. Not even laying eggs anymore.

What is wrong with Red?!!?
I tried to take a video, it won’t allow me to load it. She’s basically gasping for air. Kinda like agonal breathing but she’s still active and alive. Sounds like bronchitis but no discharge from eyes or beak. She’s 5 years old. She has been staying in the coop the last few days and only comes out to eat and drink. She doesn’t sit in roost. She stays on the floor. Not broody. Not even laying eggs anymore.

For video upload to youtube, then provide us a link. (the BYC upload doesn't work)

I'm sorry to hear about Red:hugs
She's not laying eggs anymore? Feel the abdomen (between the legs, below the vent) see if there is swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid.
How is her crop? Hard, soft, squishy, doughy, empty, full, airy/fluid filled, any sour/yeasty odor?

At her age and not laying eggs anymore, she may be having reproductive problems. Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, tumors, Salpingitis, Internal Laying are common in laying hens. Sometimes hens will also have fluid in the belly (Ascites) that accompanies ones of the conditions.

Empty crop. No swelling anywhere. Skinny.
How long has she been doing that?
Her breast feathers look wet or is it just the lighting?
So nothing in the crop.
She is in respiratory distress for sure, I was trying to see inside her beak, I didn't really see any lesions or canker.
Have you added any new birds recently?
Is she able to poop? What's that like?
Which direction to go...it could be respiratory disease, possibly gapeworm but she's not coughing/slinging her head so... (Sorry, I'm just thinking/brainstorming while typing, someone may hit on something I'm not thinking).

If the crop is not full and the abdomen is not bloated/fluid filled, if she were mine, then I would treat for both respiratory illness and deworm her to see if that makes any difference. At this point, if the distress does not calm down, she's not getting any hydration at all, so she will likely decline soon.

Tylan50 and Safeguard liguid goat wormer can both be found at Tractor Supply.
Tylan50 dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days.
Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 days in a row.

The trick will be getting the medication into her, she may fight you hard since she's struggling already and I worry about her aspirating. If you have vet care, that is always best.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

I have tylan200. It’s al the feedstore had. My paramedic husband is converting it now so I can give it to her.
Thanks y’all for all your advise.
If you need help calculating, let me know how much she weighs.

Tylan has a large range dosage of 10-40mg/kg so you have wiggle room there:) So don't worry too much about overdosing. Normally the dose that I give out is mid range, but it does need to be given 3 times day.

Back
Top Bottom