My Red Sex-Link Rant

UBkevy

Songster
10 Years
May 5, 2009
Buffalo
Sorry but I need to get this out. I am still relatively new to chickens. I have had them now for 1.5 years, but in that time I have had Red Sex-links, Golden Comets (almost the same thing I know), Barred Rocks, Partridge Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Silver Laced Wyandottes, a Black Star and some bird I still do not know what it is. And I have had no issues with any of them besides the Red Sex-Links ( the Partridge are a bit spooky I will not lie). These birds are spooky, aggressive, chase younger birds around, all but tackle me for food when they already have some, and now I have had one become an internal layer. The second these birds see weakness they go after it. If I had a flock with only these birds and was looking for the max egg production it would be fine but dang. All I had heard is that they are a pretty good bird, maybe they are and I have a tough bunch but wow. I mean am I crazy, or what? The Rocks just hang out and forage unless the Sex- Links are feeling pissy and start bothering them, which I think is odd since the Rocks are half again as big. The other breeds just kinda do there things. But the Sex-links always seem to be set at 120%. I just hope people have not gotten these birds and decided to not deal with chickens after that. The TSC in my area do about 90% Red Sex-links and that scares me if they act like mine do.

I would NEVER recommend red six links to anyone - I have had the worst luck with them from the tractor supply in my area. Different health issues, seem to be weak birds. Mine are friendly and not mean though. For production brown egg layers I love black sex link hens.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that you're having so many problems with your red sex-links. Mine are some of the friendliest birds in my very mixed flock. The biggest problem that I have with them is that they're always under foot when I'm out in the barnyard. They are somewhere around the middle of the pecking order, below the BO, BR and BA, but above the EE, RIR and teenagers.

They are designed to be egg laying machines for a year (6-18 months of age) and be culled en masse. Many start dieing of cancerous tumors from 12 months on, any few rarely live longer than 3 years.
No a good choice of birds.
David

I too am a bit disappointed in my "isa browns". They have been the ones to cause trouble and today one attacked one of my EE's. I am looking to re home the three I have. They are also the ones that have been laying the extra large soft shelled eggs. Some of them crack in the nest box. What good is it to have a hen lay large eggs if you cannot eat them?

We breed them..very docile cuddle with you pets actually PIA chickens since you will break your neck trying not to step on them-then they look at you like well pick me up then.No health problems.They lay great no internal laying and no health problems as they age any more so than any other chickens.Your black stars are black sex links as well and without a doubt half the same breeding as the reds are being hatchery stock.
Sounds like you just got some poorly bred birds.

I have had my sex-links for 3 years and have really enjoyed them in my mixed flock. I have lost only 1 of them in the 3 years. Mine have been a very healthy and docile bird. I think, just like any other breed, their temperment depends on the strain they come from. I love their XL, rich brown eggs.

maybe I got these birds from a bad strain. But I do not think I would take a chance on getting anymore unless someone bed them and specificly told me they where a solid bird and they did not cost much.

I got 6 from McMurray hatchery, and I like them very much. I have a nice mix of breeds including: SLW, BR, speckled sussex, RIR, JG's, and BO's, and the red stars are the friendliest. They are very affectionate, and I don't think that they are too nasty to other chickens. I think my "meanest" birds are the wyandottes. My Red Stars are only 5 months old, but they were the first to start laying. I only recently learned that they don't live as long as other breeds and are prone to internal laying. That would have scared me from getting them. I will be sad if I start losing them after only 1 year because I think that they are very sweet.

Hated all of mine. I had 6 of them. Every one of them was spooky, mean and all died of internal laying at 8-10 months. I will NEVER have them again and will never recommend them to any one.

Back
Top Bottom