My Red Sex-Link Rant

Keesmom - thank you for the link on how to make sex links and the genetics involved. Its very good.

I remembered wrong - it is the MOTHER is SILVER, the ROO is RED!! Sorry for my dyslexic memory!!

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up!! We are new to chickens, and are always learning something!! After your post, I did a bit more research, and of course, Keesmom's post helped too!

Thanks for all the opinions about RSL.I"m just getting started raising chickens and have decided on RSL due to production, temperament and hardiness.
After reading everyone's posts, it kind of seems like a crap shoot as far as temperament, health, etc. no matter what breed I choose if I order them through the mail. I think I will try to find someone local to get them from. Then at least I can see for myself.
Thanks

Quote:
You know I was really curious and called Cackle Hatchery where I got my Red Star Sex Links from to find out what breeds they used. And guess what? They told me it was a secret that the owner only knew and couldn't tell me! I think that's weird what if I wanted to enter them in the fair or somewhere and they asked for that info. I like the hens and they started laying pretty early and nice large brown eggs but I would like to have known their parentage. They don't all look the same, which is why I was curious. I haven't bred mine to a rooster yet I might next year. I will let you know how they hatch out!

No animal should suffer for if you truly love them its hard to see them in pain.
we have the right to put down our pets ........ My dad suffered for yrs and when i see one of my pets in pain,
I think what should i do dad and i know the final day he will be watching them for me in heaven

No animal should suffer for if you truly love them its hard to see them in pain.
we have the right to put down our pets ........ My dad suffered for yrs and when i see one of my pets in pain,
I think what should i do dad and i know the final day he will be watching them for me in heaven
Never mind.

Sorry about your dad..

Last edited:
LOVE the sex links I've had ~ the red ones. For some reason, I have had bad luck with the black sex link being mean. So, I stick to having one or two Red's in my flock. This is Reba..sooo sweet. Always gets up on the roost outside to be close to me when they are in for the winter..and when free ranging, she follows me around like a puppy dog. Here she is up on the roost while I was taking pictures of my others.

When I introduce other pullets getting big enough for the flock, she will let them know she
is higher in order, but no feather picking, just moving towards them. Then it doesn't take
long at all for her to ignore them.
I have some golden comet chicks coming..my first with them. Hope they are friendly!

I called Tractor supply and got the names of the hatcheries they use for their stores. Three total. Privett, Mt. Healty and Townline. My. Healthy and Privett use a RIR and RIW for their red sex links. Townline only sells Isa Browns not red sex links by name. They also purchase the parent stock from another hatchery that trade marks Isa Brown and said they are a company secret even to them.
I guess mine are RIR and RIW. They are sweet so far I just hope they stay healthy.

Back
Top Bottom