my rescue chickens

sdshoars

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2008
Texas
this weekend i saw an add on craigslist that a guy had some pullets that are within 4 weeks of laying, so i went out to get a couple... i wish i could have taken the whole farm. the poor guys were waaaay over crowded, and they were covered in poo, and sooo underweight. i took two home with me, they are around 18 weeks old, and my 14 week olds outweigh them by about two lbs each. the guy said they are black sex-links, but i think they are just mutts, they are both black, one has black legs and a single comb, and they other has a pea comb like my wyandottes. poor ladies. and the guy didnt feed them anything but cracked corn, thats it. so i hope i can fatten them up a little bit before they try to lay, i am feeding them grower/ finisher and mealworms (which they love). it was sad, cuz they didnt understand that food comes from people until i showed them. one is a biter, but she doesnt bite hard, she's just telling you to watch yourself. they are seperated from my girls until i am satisfied that they are disease-free, but i swear, i wish i could have taken 30 of them. stupid guy. i will post pictures when i get home from work today.

How sad the chickens are kept that way. Hopefully more chicken lovers will answer the ad and get them in good homes. You did a great thing. Best of luck to you and your new additions. Looking forward to pics.

Back
Top Bottom