my results of adding light

Discussion in 'Quail' started by farrier!, Sep 29, 2009.

1. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    After 2 weeks of one or two eggs all week I broke down and put the quail inside and added one light. I plug it in around 6-7 in the morning and it is unplugged around 9-10 at night. Yesterday we collected 5 eggs. A lot better then one a week!! [​IMG]

On the shopping list is a timer for the light but it is nice to be up and outside for a check in the morning dark.

2. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    My timer kicks the light on in the morning fo a short time & back on in the evening for a few hours also. Congrats on the increased eggs.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  3. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    That's great to know! I'm putting my 6 laying hens inside under lights in the garage on the weekend. I hope to start seeing eggs too!!

4. mschickychick

mschickychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    Thanks for sharing that. Mine are inside and I'm starting to see a slight decline in egg laying. I will supplement with some light too.

[​IMG]

5. ugly ducky

ugly ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    S.E. MO
    Yep, those lights really help! As I posted in another thread, my quail were slowing down to 15 -18 eggs per day. Lights have been on for a couple weeks now, and yesterday I got 39 eggs. Big difference! I keep mine on a timer set for 4 am, natural light through the day, then off at 7 pm.

6. winstonsgrrrl

winstonsgrrrl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Ohio
    I have my quail cage on my patio, about 10-15 feet from my porch light. I just got them Sunday and they're only 5 wks old, so not laying yet. Is this enough light for them? It's not super bright, but I can look out my window and see them perfectly well.

7. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Do you think rope lighting would work... I have some white and it would be easy to wrap that around all the cages and would take the elements well.

Nancy

8. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    it should im going to be using white chrstmas lights the bigger bulbed ones

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by