1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My RIR eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by holliewould, Sep 9, 2008.

1. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    I'm just new at chickens and eggs and want a place to document the progress of my ladies. And what better place then BYC?

One of my 5.5 month old RIR's laid her second egg today, 28 hours after her very first egg at 3pm. It's a little bit bigger then her first egg. It's also quite a bit browner then her first. We are in the middle of Ike's wrath yet she laid anyway. What a good girl.

Here's a pic of both eggs she laid.
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

2. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Good girl is right. When is breakfast going to be served?

Anne

3. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Just a little notation in case anyone is remotely interested in my rambling. My dang girl didn't lay today. I was expecting an egg at or around 7pm this evening to no avail. I assumed every 28hrs calculating from the time of her first two ova. I am hoping I'll get a present before I let them out of the coop in the early morn. Also, there was no "It hurts, it hurts" sound today either. I'm extremely disappointed I didn't get me an egg. Still waiting on the other spoiled rotten brat to lay. Anyway, here's a pic of my current layer, and which I learned today will NEVER go broody.

[​IMG]

DDRanch, I will have a pic tomorrow of those eggs sunny side up first thing in the morning for ya. I got the perfect little egg pan action going on here.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    never say never. I got a call from a friend with two RIR pullets that I had given some Copper Black Marans cull roosters to for dinner and he said a couple weeks after he got the roos one of his RIR went broody and is sitting on four eggs right now!

5. BUG126

BUG126 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    WA State
    Our BR was the first to start laying and for quite a few weeks she would lay two days ina row and then skip the third. In fact, she might still be following this pattern, but we have a few more laying and I cant figure out who.

6. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    I can see her never going broody. She poops out her egg and jumps right off the nest. Not even looking back at it LOL. Anyway, I didn't get that egg yesterday but I had one in the nest when i let the ladies out at 7am. So, she had to have laid it hours before because the 3rd egg wasn't warm at all. Anyway, I had 3 scrambled eggs for breakfast. There was 2 tiny bloodspot in one of them. I hope the blood spots are ok to eat because I just did. Man those yolks are freaky orange. And the shells??? They were soooo hard. I had to crack them on the stove at least 3 times. Here was my breakfast.

[​IMG]

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Mmmm... I got 5 eggs waiting for Saturday morning breakfast with some turkey bacon [​IMG] Now you is making me impatient, and I don't wanna share now! LOL

You is a lucky chicken mama... [​IMG]

8. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Thanks for posting pictures of the RIR egg, it certainly help me identify which of my eggs are from my RIR girls and which are from the BR girls.

9. christmaschicken

christmaschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Christmas, Florida
    [​IMG]

How eggciting! My RIR just laid her first little Brown Present for me on Monday and finally #2 on Wednesday... now I am getting white, green and brown eggs.
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to have mine on Saturday!

10. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    We were saving our eggs for Sunday breakfast. It was taking all week to get enough eggs to eat on Sunday. [​IMG]

I love my RIR's. I have one that has been laying for about a month. I even got a double yolker from her but then she didn't lay the next day. It must have hurt. [​IMG] Now I have a Red Sex Link laying, her eggs are a little smaller. I have 8 more RIR's that should soon start laying, their combs have gotten a lot redder now. And I'm not putting my hands anywhere on those chickens to see if they are getting ready to lay. LOL And I have 2 RIW's I am dieing to have them lay because I am going to put them on ebay. I only have RIR roosters so I think the RIW hens and RIR rooster with make Red Sex Links.

Isn't it fun going out to see if you have eggs. It makes my day. HAPPY LAYING [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by