My roo and I just had a fight - what to do

eggcited2

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Illinois
My Welsummer rooster (will be a year old first of June) just went after me in the chicken house. I was in the chicken house (nice large 10 x10) and roo rushed at me a couple times, the last time brushing up against my leg. I used my leg to shove him away. He then flew up and tried to spur/attack me. I used a pieces of siding (that soft thin particle board kind) about 4 feet long, 8 inches wide and about 1/2 inch thick to hit him. Not super hard, but knocked him back about two feet.

He then would not get anywhere near me and ran out of the chicken house. I left the chicken house and stood outside looking to see where he was. He was no where near, he was back behind the chicken house (in the rain, heavy big drops coming down). He was crowing but would not come out where I could see him.

Do you think he will continue to try to attack or challenge me? I don't want a mean or problem rooster.

He has been running the tom turkey away (spurring and jumping on him) but the hen turkey will chase the rooster away. When they are all eating, and the rooster gets near the hen turkey, she pecks him hard and he runs off.

Any suggestions, or ideas? Any help would be very much appreciated.

If he ran, you won the fight. Don't let your guard down and be persistant with him(if you want to keep him). He sounds real aggressive if he tries to pick fights with turkeys.

You won, he ran away...

They say never give in..stand your guard and u did the best you could

I bet that scared the crap out of u, this is my fear of roosters..but iam going to try and keep one

Has he ever done other things to u, before this?

Yes, from what I have read he could have learned..or not, only time will tell

Sending u a big hug
Iam more then sure others will hop on with far better advise then I could share with u
Those with experience..

I will be following this post closely

Quote:
I too have a problem with being around roosters. When I was a little kid (about 6 or 7) one of the roosters we had actually jumped up onto my back and spurred and flogged me. My parents came running from our house when they heard me screaming. I had blood on my back from the rooster's spurs and had bruising on my arms, shoulders, face from his wings flogging me so hard. We had him for supper, by the way. But I am not totally comfortable around a rooster that is not totally docile.

Quote:
Odds are, yes he will come at you again. Persistence is the key-NEVER back down from him or you lose, game over.
He may just be testing you right now or he may be a horse's rear-only time will tell.

One of my two roosters periodically hops at me or fans his wings. I give him a strong nudge with my boot and he knocks it off. Luckily, it's a rare occurrence and he's never actually jumped at me or he'd be gone. But I believe that he's an example of how it IS possible for a rooster to be a little macho sometimes without it escalating. However, it does sound like yours has got an aggression issue, if he's picking on your turkeys too!

I had a Welsummer roo that did the same thing so i had a little broom every time he gave me a hard time i would lay the end of the broom on his back an he would run trying to get away from it.
I would run trying to keep it there as long as I could, most chickens don't like anything on or right over there back after a few times like this he got the ideal. only Problem was no one else could go near him.

Well done, but that's probably just the first battle. Continue your performance, and you will win the war. Don't trust him, and do not let any children near him.

My roo and I just had a fight - what to do

Rooster should send chocolates and apologize. If not.. get Dr. Phil involved so that he talks about HIS feelings. Use "I feel" statements.​

Back
Top Bottom