My Roo attacked me!!!

thechxwhisperer

Songster
5 Years
Sep 2, 2014
Florida

This is Bilbo, he is a Splash Ameraucana and he is my only roo. I got him about 4 months ago and since the day I got him he has been really sweet and he has kept his distance away from everyone(except the hens) Then, about a month ago, he started getting nasty and flaring his neck or stalking everyone. We have been picking him up after he does this or holding him down on the ground for about 20 seconds. Today, I went out to feed some treats to my girls, and he attacked me from behind!! He drew blood too! What should I do?

I would wear heavier clothing and go hang with him. Let him flog but ignore him. If he attacks you from behind only then let him. If he breaks off then stay near him but not look at him. Attacks generally cease once he realizes they have no impact. You also eat or rehome.

If he is young, it could be that he is just testing the waters with you.

My rooster had a bit of a charge at me the other day, but to be fair I was holding his favourite girl at the time and he was obviously trying to protect her. In a way, this is why I got him in the first place, so I have given him the benefit of the doubt - this time. He has not attacked me before (he is 14 months old), and has not done so since. So I can see that perhaps I might need to modify my behaviour next time I need to work with that hen.

But as i said, this is the one and only time he has done it. A rooster that persistently attacks people is, in my opinion, not a good rooster to have around. I can understand the premise behind what @centrarchid is suggesting, and it may well work, but I personally would not tolerate a rooster consistently attacking me. Thick clothing will not protect your eyes, and if there is any chance at all that a small child could wander into his path who knows what damage could be done.

Me? I'd be having a good think about wether I really needed a rooster, and re-homing or culling him out. I fear that as you have indicated he has behaved aggressively on several occasions (by raising his hackles and stalking you) that the pattern is already set - there is a dominant member in your flock, and it's not you.

If you do intend to breed you could always get another rooster. I'm not sure that aggression is a trait I would want to breed on anyway. If you don't intend on hatching chicks, I'd be asking if you really need to keep a roo on hand at all.

Just my humble opinion. I'm sure others will have opposing opinions.

My best to you,

- Krista

Ok so I would butcher him I mean if he really is hurting you that's not good, I had the same thing with my rooster he was so nice and then attacked me and also drew blood. He lived a month more and then my dad went in there and that dumb rooster had to attack him. But before that I wasn't safe unless I went in with a rake even then, thought the rooster was really big and heavy, its your choice there will always be roosters in the world nice ones and mean ones they might not be like the ones you had a bond with but there are plenty of them. Good luck.

Most do not target your eyes or face.

If my approach works then attacks will stop.

Yes.....but if it doesn't work, then you're just standing in your chicken run being voluntarily flogged by a rooster.
big_smile.png

As I said, I respect your opinion, but it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Best wishes,

- Krista

My sister was attacked by her roo, and after a $150 trip to the emergency room for stitches, antibiotics, and a tetanus shot, she sent him to crock pot camp! Seriously, the first time he attacked her, she brushed it off. The next time, he caused a nasty injury. I would not tolerate a roo that attacks - not worth the risk to the family!

Yes.....but if it doesn't work, then you're just standing in your chicken run being voluntarily flogged by a rooster.    :D

As I said, I respect your opinion, but it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Best wishes,

- Krista

It may not work. I am able to it with other peoples chickens but some owners of those birds could not. Let OP give it a try without being scared to death by those that would not try it. It is dicey enough without being flogged a few times prior for experience.

Back
Top Bottom