My roo attacked my shoe!

karri25

Songster
12 Years
Feb 5, 2007
Arkansas
I am in so much pain!!!! My roo NEVER attacks me b/c he knows better. However, after church yesterday I went out to check for eggs in my church dress and shoes. I don't know if it was my skirt flapping or the odd shoes but he just came up and dug his spur into the top of my foot:-( It took like 3 seconds and it hurts soooo bad. My husband thinks he may have even cracked one of my little bones b/c it hurts so bad. I was in such shock that I just stood there for a second. When he came back for his second go though I booted him. I didn't mean to but I was in such shock and to be honest it had kind of taken my breath b/c it hurt so bad. he doesn't even have "real" spurs yet, his are only like an inch long. It has me worried now. If that little "attack" hurts so bad what's going to happen when he's bigger?
Anyways, I guess I just wanted to whine b/c it REALLY hurts :-(

Oh no another naughty rooster!!!
It shocks us when our pets turn on us like that.
They do hurt dont they!
My boy got me on the ankle bone and it really hurt too.
That was the final straw for me, he has a new home.
Its dangerous if they freerange like mine do , but not so bad if they are in a coop. I would hate to see them attack an innocent child or elderly aunt!
Im not sure how your boy will turn out, only you can decide if he is safe, you will know by watching him grow whether he is going to worsen his habits. I hope not for your sake.
Just watch your back as that is the time when most of them play up!
Good luck and hope your foot gets better soon.
Helen

Slifer only spurred me once and that was because she took exception to the pants I was wearing. Her spurs were a couple of inches long too and she got me on my calf.
It probably WAS something that you were wearing, especially if it's something that you haven't worn before out there with them.
The top of your foot has no fat on it either so that really hurts.
If this is the only time he's done it then chalk it up to experience and don't consider it something that he'll do all the time.

I've had a rooster that attacked everybody's feet... except for mine (for some odd reason). He typically got "discouraged" from doing such activities (involving the boot, standard response for something attacking your foot). He never could shake the habit though, so he went the way of the jerk rooster.

I am hoping that he doesn't ever do it again. He is sometimes sneaky though. I am just worried about when he has like three inch spurs. If he ever touches any of my babies than he will have to go the way of the cook pot. I really do like the little punk though so I hope it never comes to that.
P.s. my foot STILL hurts like the dickins!

2 AND 3 INCH SPURS :eek:
omg... i had no idea they get that big. We are knew to the chicken scene. I have 2 barred rock roo's that are about 7 months old and only have just over a nub of a spur. Yikes I may be reconsidering the whole Roo idea.
lol.png

One of our boys did the "attack" thing the first time I ever wore long pants out in the run. My first reaction...a good swift kick in the rear.

Later on, after thinking about how chickens hate change, I realized that the poor guy was just doing his job to protect the gals. They were used to seeing my skinny, bird legs their whole life (got them as day-olds in mid May) so he was just reacting to what was different. Haven't had a problem with any of the boys since he got put in his place...I think they are finally used to seeing me in jeans and sweat pants now.
lau.gif

Hope your foot gets to feeling better soon!
hugs.gif

Dawn

Sorry to hear about your foot. If he trys again wear pvc boots (you know the mid-calf length rubber boots). Mine came for me once and I had on my boots. When his beak hit the boot it bounced off and startled him so that he hasn't bothered me again.

Back
Top Bottom