My roo has some blue on his comb

Frizzle13

Songster
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
My roo has some blue on his comb,:/Does this matter will he be fine to breed from

Last edited:
When one of my roos have blue on their comb, at the back part, it usually means they are excited/and/or mad. My one favorite roo died last winter of a suspected heart attack when he was mad and beating up another smaller roo. Junior had a lot of problem with getting the back of his comb a real dark blue. Now his son, Junior Junior (I know not very imaginative but it keeps that line straight!) has started getting a bit of blue on the back of his comb when he is after a hen or beating up on my Kahki Campbell drake, Dude Duck. The rest of the time his comb is a beautiful bright red! Hope to see other responses too! I know when my tom turkey, Big Ben, gets blue on his face he is either chasing one of his women, or trying to beat up someone!

my all roosters had it . this is because of cold in winters or rainy season.not to wory about .if you touch it it will be cold from the red comb.
smile.png

my all roosters had it . this is because of cold in winters or rainy season.not to wory about .if you touch it it will be cold from the red comb.
smile.png
actually it is something to worry about its frostbite

and the comb can fall off

treat it daily with vasaline to prevent further frostbite

Last edited:
I have many roosters and their combs will change colour gradually depending on the situation.

Sometimes they are bright cherry red, other times darker red, and sometimes have parts on the tips and back going blue or purple colour.

I live in a sub tropical climate, so its not due to frost or low temperatures.

I find its due to the hormones of the rooster, how angry or excited they are. The more relaxed they are the more red the comb. All my rooster are very healthy and I do not worry if their combs have some blue on them. It only lasts a short time. I believe its similar to how turkeys faces and wattles change colour depending on mood.

If you have very cold weather, or the rooster seem sick, then it may be a sign of disease or frostbite.

No me and frizzle13 dont have cold weather currently but he keeps his chickens in a different place to where he lives but as far as i know the weather hasn't been bad. ive heard it can be due to hormones and how fertile they are.(im just repeating what ive heard) hope he gets better soon.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom