my roo is a jerk

Well delfargo, I had a Lakenvelder rooster just like him, and I can tell you that there is hope.
It's funny, because it seems as if the smaller roosters tend to have the most testosterone, thus, the extreme show-offy behavior and the constant hen-attacking. When he was giving you that look, was he making 'show-offy' sounds and/or tilting his body towards you? If so, he was basically just stating his superiority over you. That is a behavior that must be corrected if you don't want him to attack you anymore. Next time, whenever he looks at you like that, or shows-off, threatens you, or does something you really don't want him to do, just pick him up if you can. You can either pet him, rub his wattles, ect, or just hold him, carry him around, and hold the base of his comb with a slight pressure if his tries to peck you and push his head down (gently), or a combination. What that does is show him that you are the superior rooster (and I think it just plain out humiliates them!). It may seem weird, but me, and many other people have done it, and it really does work! I think that if you listen to and study any animal, you can find out all you need to know about their behavior, and how to work with them.
smile.png

The thing is, with my Lakenvelder rooster, Taco, he would NEVER learn...the only rooster I ever had like that. So, I had to learn. Truth be told, I didn't try THAT hard, as hard as I should have, because I thought his pathetic attempts to attack me were actually funny. However, I DID make sure he knew that I wasn't a force to tangle with, but he STILL didn't listen. He was just too spazzy, too macho, and too proud to do that (he acted a bit messed up in the head too). The solution? Water gun! Just spray them with a little water when they try to attack. Usually works, but sometimes roosters like him are STILL to macho to give up. So, I just keep catching him, maybe shaking him around a bit (without hurting him), spraying him with water......
lol.png
He would learn eventually, and I doubt your rooster is as crazy macho as he was.

I hate to self-promote my own thread again, but this is something that seems to be asked about so often, I made a thread about it, talking a lot more about it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=390911

Wish you good luck with your rooster....keep us updated? And hope you find the thread useful.
smile.png

Last edited:
As for when to butcher, I have read 12-16 weeks is best for a tender frying chicken. I read the 19 weeks, though, and you'd sure get more meat then.

But maybe with all this good advice you'll decide to hear the crowing instead. I love to hear them crow, too. I have 3 roos and 14 hens, too many I know, but so far it has worked out fine; the roos are varying ages and hatched here. I'll be giving one away in a month or two, but might keep two. Extra roos get eaten here, too.

If he's not a rooster you want to keep for breeding purposes I'd dispose of him. I don't keep any roo that even looks cross-eyed at me since I don't want that trait in my breeding flocks. If you just want a roo because you enjoying hearing them crow and as a protector for your girls there are plenty of nice roosters around to replace him with.

All the Lakenvelders I've had have been really feisty, and needed working with, so I wouldn't be discouraged by that. Little roosters are the spazziest.
lol.png

64691_100_1667.jpg

This is Mashed Potatoes, our 6 month old who is the Alpha-male. A couple of months ago, I wanted to kill him. He was a total A-hole, always trying to fight me. So, I started catching him and holding him still for a bit. Every time I saw him, I caught him and it made him realize I was the boss. Now he's cool...

pookiegoldman, thanks for the great picture and the testimonial. The more success stories there are, the more people will see that it really does work.
thumbsup.gif

Mashed Potatoes (great name:D) looks almost exactly like my rooster, Taco, BTW.
lol.png

Ahhh, try to reform him. He's ONLY 12 weeks old - and weeks are "years" to chickens, so he's smack-dab in the middle of early adolescence. 12 year old boys are jerks, for the most part. Self-centered, flushed with hormones, sure they know the answers to everything.

Mine were obnoxious then, too. They've all mellowed out now. Of course, I helped them with their attitudes whilst they were maturing....

Quote:
Ahem, excuse me?
hmm.png
You must have not met very many good 12-year-olds then. My brother is about that age and I know several very nice (not obnoxious) 12-year-olds.
roll.png

Anyways, I agree, he probably will mellow out as he gets older.
smile.png

thanx for all the advice. i have read the article you posted, yaz, and i think i am going to act on some of the tips for the next several days in a row, just go out there, get him cornered if i can (he's very quick) and just pick him up and walk around the pen with him, for all the girls to see. i'd like to see him reform instead of ending up in the fryin' pan, so we'll see what happens. i'll keep you posted.
my guy, magellin, is a small guy with that whole "napoleon" complex going. looks just like the photo pookie posted. (guess they all kinda look alike)
thanx again for the advice. i will tell magellin he'd better take some advice too.

Back
Top Bottom