My roo is "in the mood"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jimz1, May 24, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    Hank is only 2 months old. He's the dominant roo. He acts like he's ready to do the "deed" He grabs the hens (who are also 2 months) by the neck. I didn't see it but the wife said it looks like he's starting to get busy. Is it possible or is he just pretending?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yes he is preparing himself for roosterdom! [​IMG]

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Sounds like he's trying to get the hang of it.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have three 3 month old cockerels right now driving the adult hens crazy with the same thing.

My problem is where to hang the signs on the hens. Either I'm going to have to hang little signs from my hens that say "front" and "back" or someone is going to have to explain to these testosterone crazed little idiots that they've got the wrong end! [​IMG]

5. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    [​IMG]

My 3 month old roo has been doing a wing dance at me. Yeah... I don't know if he wants to challenge me or he thinks I'm a pretty new friend he just realized existed. He does wing dances for his ladies and then pecks them on top of the head. I'm not sure what he thinks this is going to accomplish. I'm sure he'd do the same thing to me if he could reach.

6. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    My Little Roo is only 14 weeks and he's a bantam, so he's not even 1/2 the size of his ladies and he already thinks he's the man!

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yep...spring is in the air. Just watched my 13 week old silkie cockerel (paid for sexed pullets [​IMG]) do the drop wing dance and circle up both my red pullets. That's as far as it went for now. He's much smoother than my 12 week old d'uccle cockerel, who has only resorted to grabbing and pecking the pullets' necks/head. Kind of like a little boy socking the girl he likes.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Young roos, gotta love em. [​IMG]

9. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Yes, they are funny!! Gotta love'em though.

10. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    My almost 4 month old Phoenix roo jumped in and took on a 4' gopher snake to protect his girlfriends, and some ladies that aren't even his!! Fortunately I was close by and heard the commotion before anyone could get hurt, but he was jumping and pecking, and everyone else was screaming and running!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by