My roo is super friendly. Is that a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NicInNC, May 8, 2009.

1. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    Granted, he's only 5 months old, but he LOVES being held. He doesn't run from me either. He's my little game bantam.

I think I read on here somewhere that it's a recipe for disaster to have a roo like a human that much.

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    I wouldn't think its a bad thing. I have 3 roos that don't mind if we are around just so long as nobody is screwing with the hens. Look at it this way, you wount have to worry about him chasing you!

3. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    No a sweet roo is better than the attack roo [​IMG] I have a super sweet roo. I keep him in my nursery coop with all 30something chicks (only one of them is his own chick) and he helps feed them all and watches over them.

4. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    1 of my roosters was real sweet and friendly, once he got grown and hormimones kicked in he changed, now I have to carry a stick while being around him [​IMG]

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    A few of my roos are super sweet too, one LOVES car rides to the store to get donuts lol. Both of my friendly roos are great with the hens as well, so much that if they try to mate with the hen and she isn't "in the mood" they back off instead of just going for it and continue to wait patiently until the hens are ready. The one roo i haven't handled much i have had for 4 years now and he is mean as all get out, not with the girls just humans.

6. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    I have a RIR rooster that got friendlier as he got older. He's three years old now. He comes up to the kitchen door, pecks on the glass, walks right in when you open the door, walks into the kitchen and eats his dog food...and then walks right out. If the door is closed, he'll peck at the glass until you open it.

He doesn't really like to be held, but he tolerates it. He rather sit up somewhere and watch me while I garden or do chores. I think it's nice to have a friendly calm rooster. It's better than being flogged or spurred [​IMG] Enjoy your guy, until he changes [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by