My roo jumped on my 2yo Son Today

I'd put your roo in a pot, personally. We don't tolerate bad behavior out of our roos. Anything less friendly than my boy below gets sold or eaten. It's just not worth the risk.

255630_10150216416669795_513679794_7142499_3543672_n.jpg

It's good that you relocated the roo for your son's sake, but don't get discouraged some roos can be trained to leave even young ones alone. It does take some experience. They are just guarding their girls. I usually send my more aggressive guys to freezer camp to avoid any injuries.

Roos are driven by hormones and instinct. I don't see where your rooster is especially aggressive from your description. I believe he just felt threatened by a loud and bouncy toddler. I have said this 100 times on here and will say it again.....roosters and small children are just not a good combination. My roos are awesome but I still don't allow kids near them. Kudos to the OP for rehoming the bird.
smile.png

Quote:
I think maybe you should give him a chance.. just my opinion..maybe like you said the running up to him startled him? Since you have only had him a week, He is still getting used to his surroundings..And in the mean time is there a way to keep your son and the rooster separated for a while until he can start understanding not to chase the bird?

Quote:
Again, thanks to BrattishTaz for rewording what I have said so many times lately. I'm glad your son was not seriously hurt and now you are well-equipped with better knowledge when and if you get another rooster.
smile.png

I think that my own roosters might just alarm and run away from a kid, but then, they've never been tested because I haven't allowed children in the pens with them or around when they are out free ranging. If a child suddenly lunged toward one of them, Isaac especially, since he is the more cautious of my boys, I can see him reacting in what most would consider an aggressive manner, even though he is completely docile with us and super easy to handle on a daily basis, even loves chest rubs and lets me mess with his wattles, etc. If he did react toward a boisterous child rather than away from one, that would not automatically stamp him "human aggressive", due to the circumstance, IMO.

Out with the flock this morning, was thinking about this, most of the time children love to gather the eggs, now ya got one more thing working against Roo nature, (that little 2 legged thing always coming, reaching under his ladies and stealing his "babies").

just saying, just an observation, imho. not playing a defense lawyer...

Back
Top Bottom