My rookie experience to butcher a chicken - video

Good job on the video and explaining how it is awkward at first. I've butchered 3 times and it gets a bit easier each time, both in the time consumed and emotionally. My first time was a nightmare, dull knife and the mess and smell, but it was all worth it. As for a good knife I purchased a pvc pipe cutter I picked up at Lowes, it is super sharp so the job is done very quickly. I was stunned when I cut the roosters jugular the cutter went clear through and severed the head. Sorry if that sounded harsh or heartless but it worked very well. My next investment will be a plucker that you can use with a drill, you can purchase one on ebay or make it yourself. You tube has a few videos on them, you'll be impressed at how well they work.

Good job on the video and explaining how it is awkward at first. I've butchered 3 times and it gets a bit easier each time, both in the time consumed and emotionally. My first time was a nightmare, dull knife and the mess and smell, but it was all worth it. As for a good knife I purchased a pvc pipe cutter I picked up at Lowes, it is super sharp so the job is done very quickly. I was stunned when I cut the roosters jugular the cutter went clear through and severed the head. Sorry if that sounded harsh or heartless but it worked very well. My next investment will be a plucker that you can use with a drill, you can purchase one on ebay or make it yourself. You tube has a few videos on them, you'll be impressed at how well they work.

Thanks for sharing about the pvc pipe cutter - we might look into that. We tried a knife out of a "butchering kit" first and it just didn't do the job well, then tried a fillet knife and my husband felt that worked better, but still felt he could use something sharper - sounds like maybe too sharp but at least we know it would work in one cut!

Thanks for sharing this great video! I had a similar experience with my first rooster too. Guess its pretty frequent, which is reassuring :) also appreciate Steal your face in the video too. Nice touch!!

really good video and good perspective. i've had chickens for a year now & have yet to kill one. i think the kill will by far be my hardest time & your perspective will be firmly tucked in my head when the time comes. i definitely will remember the part about their neck feathers. i can see how that would be an issue - my rooster has amazing neck feathers. i have this havels knife that uses disposable blades. i have read that it works very well & quite a few hunters use it as well. it enables me to have very sharp blades.

did you slit his arteries & let him bleed out w/his heart still pumping as many do - or did you simply cut his throat? i'm strongly leaning on killing as fast as possible & not worry about the heart pumping. i cringe at the idea of the death taking long enough for them to suffer.

btw, i liked how you had your kids in on it & how you talked w/them through the process. oh, your chickens are very pretty birds

I tried the slitting the arteries method since I was told that this was the most humane and effective way to eliminate blood. Hanging them upside down seems to absolutely be the way do this. He was very calm for almost the entire event. Had my knife skills been better, It would have been a little quicker and more peaceful. If there is a next time, I'm sure it would go more smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom