My roommate found a peacock! Can it live with my chickens?

dmdhart

Songster
10 Years
Jun 12, 2009
Millwood, VA
Today my roommate brought home a peacock, well a peahen. It apparently showed up at his brothers house about a week ago. Right now we have her in a cage in the kitchen and she's eaten a lot. She acts like she's starved. I've given her two pieces of multi grain bread, some bird seed and water. She'll stay in the kitchen for the night. My question is, can I put her in the hen house and turn her loose with the chickens? Does her run need a top on it? My chickens free range, I don't have a pen with a top on it. Should I clip one of her wings to keep her from flying away?
Does she need special food? I give my guys laying crumbles and scratch, with lots of treats.
Thanks for any info you can give me.

Someone with peafowl experience will need to answer some of your questions, but I wouldn't put her with your chickens for a couple of weeks... you don't want her to spread a disease to them.... you want to make certain that she is healthy.

If you go through the index of this site there is a whole section dedicated to raising peafowl. I think you will find all the info you need. I agree with Mahonri about not letting it mix with your birds in the meantime.

Good luck and have fun with your newest flock member.

Back
Top Bottom