My Rooster acts like a hen!?

Shan98

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2019
Australia
Hi, I have a 6 month old chicken that's a rhode island mix, I incubated the egg and hand raised the chick. I originally thought it was a hen because it matured so slowly and was rather small up until reaching 6 months everthing has indicated it was a hen except now for it's neck feathers and back feathers that have now come through to now look like a rooster and looks like spurs are starting to come through. It's feather colours are really odd too, now that it's reached 6 months it's reached the same size as it's mother. It has never crowed, it doesn't mount or act like a rooster at all, infact it makes hen noises. I am so confused, it hangs around a hen which is her mother and the mother is at the top of the pecking order and it doesn't behave like a rooster around her, it acts like a hen! It grew up with it's brother which I gave away 2 months ago and even around him it behaved like a hen and was always chased around to be mounted? My partner and I think it might have some sort of genetic mutation or maybe it's just an odd looking rooster that's maturing unsually slow that's gender confused? Or maybe it's just a hen that looks weird? I honestly do not know anymore. Haha!

I'll attach some pictures, if someone could give me an idea if maybe it is normal? Or if I have a gender confused rooster?

Attachments

• 20190820_120517.jpg
    20190820_120517.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 20190820_120607.jpg
    20190820_120607.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20190820_120522.jpg
    20190820_120522.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Chickens are creatures with both male and female sex cells. They can easily exhibit secondary sexual characteristics of either sex. Some hens can sport huge rooster combs, and some even grow spurs. I have three hens in my flock with spurs.

Hens can crow if they put their minds to it. I have a couple hens that do a very good rooster crow.

However, I think you may change your mind about this chicken being a rooster after she lays her first egg any day now.

Chickens are creatures with both male and female sex cells. They can easily exhibit secondary sexual characteristics of either sex. Some hens can sport huge rooster combs, and some even grow spurs. I have three hens in my flock with spurs.

Hens can crow if they put their minds to it. I have a couple hens that do a very good rooster crow.

However, I think you may change your mind about this chicken being a rooster after she lays her first egg any day now.

Thank you so much for your response! Good to know, I never knew that about chickens

it's neck feathers and back feathers that have now come through to now look like a rooster
They sure do!!
Will be exciting to see what develops.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @Shan98
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-8-20_9-0-50.png

They sure do!!
Will be exciting to see what develops.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @Shan98
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1883366

I took her to the vet today because she's been a bit unwell lately she apparently has e.coli and turns out it's a girl! Vet said they felt an egg forming, so that's exciting! I live in Australia, Queensland.

Then I'd be thinking there's some girlie issues with her.
Maybe its just because I'm on a phone with small images but I swear I see cockerel hackle and saddle feathers as well as a couple tail feathers starting to sickle.
IDK?

Hi, I have a 6 month old chicken that's a rhode island mix, I incubated the egg and hand raised the chick. I originally thought it was a hen because it matured so slowly and was rather small up until reaching 6 months everthing has indicated it was a hen except now for it's neck feathers and back feathers that have now come through to now look like a rooster and looks like spurs are starting to come through. It's feather colours are really odd too, now that it's reached 6 months it's reached the same size as it's mother. It has never crowed, it doesn't mount or act like a rooster at all, infact it makes hen noises. I am so confused, it hangs around a hen which is her mother and the mother is at the top of the pecking order and it doesn't behave like a rooster around her, it acts like a hen! It grew up with it's brother which I gave away 2 months ago and even around him it behaved like a hen and was always chased around to be mounted? My partner and I think it might have some sort of genetic mutation or maybe it's just an odd looking rooster that's maturing unsually slow that's gender confused? Or maybe it's just a hen that looks weird? I honestly do not know anymore. Haha!

I'll attach some pictures, if someone could give me an idea if maybe it is normal? Or if I have a gender confused rooster?

Are the three pictures all of the same bird? Because the first two look like a cockerel and the last one looks completely different...

Back
Top Bottom