My rooster and a broody cluck

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mrs. K, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Pretty disappointed this morning, as no sounds of peeping; I expected a hatch yesterday, but I had a friend who just hatched in an incubator so I bought a dozen chicks from her. I added the chicks to the two broody hens, and then just stood in the corner a while to see how this went.

Pretty soon in comes the rooster, and he seems to hear the cheeps of the chicks, and he crawls under the nests, and begins to cluck just like a broody hen. He stayed there a while, and then went out. This is not his first clutch of chicks in his flock, and he was very patient with previous chicks, but I have never seen this.

Mrs K

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have had roosters that were very paternal and protective of their chicks.

3. Mrs. K

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    So today, I am down feeding the flock, and a layer got too close to the Broody mamas and chicks and Chrome, my rooster jumped in the middle of that, scolding hard. I think all the girls and I were surprised!

People this is a good rooster, a sweet heart, a flock master... and this is why you don't waste time with a rotten rooster, cause the rotten one is stealing your time from a good one!

This is such a fun hobby.

Mrs K

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What a good guy!

I agree, good roosters are good to everyone. I've never noticed my Eric doing what you're describing, but he's very good about responding if the chicks start cheeping in distress.

5. Mrs. K

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Well this is Chromes 4th set of chicks in the flock, and he is just past two years of age. One does not get great roosters in a couple of weeks.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    A couple of years ago - the last time anything was hatched here - when the chicks were about a week or two old, I opened the door separating the broody and her chicks from the rest of the flock. Of course there were the hens that wanted to cause trouble, and my rooster just jumped right in there to protect mama and babies. Later that day, Mama wanted a dust bath so she went out of the coop and the rooster took it upon himself to "babysit". He stood right in the doorway of the coop with the babies while she went out into the run to dust bathe. Unfortunately, he got nabbed by something later that fall.

7. Mrs. K

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Dang it, it is always your favorites that get took! I still miss old Captain, he was such a good rooster. This is my second really good rooster.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I know. I try - I really do try - not to get attached, but there's always one or two that just makes you like them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by