My rooster ate a wild mushroom

Ineke9909

Songster
Jan 21, 2021
Should i be worried? Do they know what is safe and isn’t? Before i could stop him he gulped down a small brown mushroom, we’ve had so much rain lately.

Should i be worried? Do they know what is safe and isn’t? Before i could stop him he gulped down a small brown mushroom, we’ve had so much rain lately.
Do you have any pictures of the same type of mushroom? If so I would like to see because my ducks and chickens always eat brown mushrooms in my yard and they don't get sick or anythig

Should you be concerned? Yes. Monitor the bird. Should you panic? No.

Assuming the bird isn't starving, and has options, its unlikely to eat anything toxic to symptomatic excess. They explore the world with their beaks, not uncommon to see them nibble, decide they are uninterested, and walk away.

Mushrooms are notoriously hard to identify, the "no mushroom" rule reflects this. Not that they are all toxic (to your chickens, your dogs, etc), but that the difference between problem fungi and not are so subtle that even experts misidentify. Its beyond most of us.

Should you be concerned? Yes. Monitor the bird. Should you panic? No.

Assuming the bird isn't starving, and has options, its unlikely to eat anything toxic to symptomatic excess. They explore the world with their beaks, not uncommon to see them nibble, decide they are uninterested, and walk away.

Mushrooms are notoriously hard to identify, the "no mushroom" rule reflects this. Not that they are all toxic (to your chickens, your dogs, etc), but that the difference between problem fungi and not are so subtle that even experts misidentify. Its beyond most of us.
But aren't backyard ones not toxic?

Do you have any pictures of the same type of mushroom? If so I would like to see because my ducks and chickens always eat brown mushrooms in my yard and they don't get sick or anythig
9C86567F-CA27-4560-85C9-F6485FC8E1B5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom