My rooster broke his beak today. It’s still attached, but he can’t close his mouth and he can’t eat. I don’t know what to do. Any advice please

tvandchicks

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2022
Yuma az I
image.jpg

It's important to know if the break is just the tip or farther behind the quick. Beaks can heal and if the tip breaks off in front of the quick, that part can grow back.

Not true if the break is behind the quick. The beak will not grow back when it's into the quick.

Yes, it's the most painful injury a chicken can incur. You can tell how much he's suffering by looking at his eyes. A chewable aspirin twice a day can help reduce the pain.

If only the tip is involved and the break is almost all the way and the tip is just hanging, it probably would help to sever it the rest of the way. Or you can try super gluing it.

He will need liquid food until it heals. He may not have an appetite while he's in a lot of pain, but you need to make sure he gets fluids because dehydration is much more dangerous at this stage than starving. Put a teaspoon of sugar in his water to encourage him to drink. That will elevate his glucose and help stave off shock.

It is at the tip of the upper beak ,but it hasn’t broken off it bent inwards so he isn’t able to close his mouth , I guess it’s more of a crack . I have tried to pull it up so he would be able to close his mouth but I wasn’t able to do so . I feel he was in enough pain already and I didn’t have anybody to help me .

Back
Top Bottom