My Rooster doesnt do his job

It's not how much they eat, but what they eat that is important. Egg whites are almost completely protein, and that protein has to come from somewhere. Corn and veggie scraps are not protein rich.

Right - chickens eat to caloric need - so if they get all their calories, they stop eating. If they haven't got enough protein yet, you end up with poor performance (bad feathers, less eggs, etc). Protein deficiencies can also lead to stuff like egg eating.

Right - chickens eat to caloric need - so if they get all their calories, they stop eating. If they haven't got enough protein yet, you end up with poor performance (bad feathers, less eggs, etc). Protein deficiencies can also lead to stuff like egg eating.
We had a few who ate their eggs. We dealt with them the hard way. But in the end i guess it was our inexperience that lead to so may mistakes.

Well a month ago he had another rooster in the pen for 30 hens. Ive read here that a good number would be 1 for every 10 hens or so.
But we killed the other one and seems he was the dominant one.
So i colected 48 eggs from my chickens and started an incubation 11 days ago. Didnt have time to candle it on day 7 so i wated for day 10.
25 of them were clear and i already opened them and no suprises, just a normal egg. The rest are that optimistic.

Another thing now is clear as day. Since september i havent seen a broody hen in my flock. There could be various reasons. But not even 1?

They cant go broody if the eggs arent fertile right? Which makes a ton a sense. I still have 2 roosters. One has feathers in his legs and outside its messy, so hes in a box for now. That rooster is goin in and the mean one ( he atacks people) going outside, maybe i can get some vidoes for youtube loool.

Does anyone agree with my way of thinking? Or other ideas?
Yeah 23 days ago I put 24 eggs in my incubator, and so far only 9 have hatched. it seems my youngest cockerel isnt doing his job properly. I have an older cockerel and he does his job just fine.

Well a month ago he had another rooster in the pen for 30 hens. Ive read here that a good number would be 1 for every 10 hens or so.
But we killed the other one and seems he was the dominant one.
So i colected 48 eggs from my chickens and started an incubation 11 days ago. Didnt have time to candle it on day 7 so i wated for day 10.
25 of them were clear and i already opened them and no suprises, just a normal egg. The rest are that optimistic.

Another thing now is clear as day. Since september i havent seen a broody hen in my flock. There could be various reasons. But not even 1?

They cant go broody if the eggs arent fertile right? Which makes a ton a sense. I still have 2 roosters. One has feathers in his legs and outside its messy, so hes in a box for now. That rooster is goin in and the mean one ( he atacks people) going outside, maybe i can get some vidoes for youtube loool.

Does anyone agree with my way of thinking? Or other ideas?
If your rooster doesn’t work, maybe you should get another one.

In terms of broodieness, it depends on the breed+ their personality. Silkie chickens are known to get broody often, and I have chickens who go broody, and chickens who complain because the broody is in their nest box. I actually have a Rhode Island Red named Broody, and she has an attitude and doesn’t like the rooster.

A tip: if you see the rooster breed/ see a hen with messed up missing feathers from breeding, collect their eggs. Just like a small population can get overbred by lots of roosters, I would guess your guy has a couple favorites, and doesn’t really get to the rest of the flock. Also, if you are taking eggs from the same birds each time, maybe he just doesn’t like those hens.

Back
Top Bottom