My rooster had his way with my house chicken! :-(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by swordgeek, Jul 12, 2010.

1. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    My former house chicken, a lovely crevecoeur who lived inside with us for 6 months, was evicted 2 weeks ago. She now has to live in the coop with the other birds, only two of whom are laying age. She mostly hangs out with the 8-week-old pullets in there, and doesn't mix with the small existing flock of her birth peers. I never really gave a thought to the Polish rooster out there... he only ever jumps the cochin...

Well, that goofy boy apparently got to my baby. I cracked open one of her eggs this weekend, and it was fertilized. No wonder she runs away from him all the time! My poor baby! She probably never saw it coming. My daughter said she saw him trying to mount her once, but she ran away and hid. Obviously he was persistent.

On the bright side, maybe now he'll protect her the way he protects his other girls. In the past, when I'd let them free-range together, he would completely ignore her existence and only herd his other two hens who lived in the coop with him. Maybe she'll finally be welcomed into the fold after all. I'm not sure whether I should be happy or sad for her. And I feel like I should have had "the talk" with her before I moved her out there!

2. buffbuttercup

buffbuttercup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
  3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My sweetest little bantam lavender Cochin, Ellen, has given me 3 eggs now, one every other day. I didn't have the chance to talk to her about "your changing body" before she laid the first egg. I've noticed Carl giving her the eye lately, and she is very quick to scoot away (in her bedroom slippers).

[​IMG]

And here's her first adorable little egg.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by