my rooster has gone mean

newestchick

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 12, 2008
Hi, I am a new chicken owner of BBR Old English bantams, 3 hens and 1 rooster. My hens have been laying for 4 months and recently my kind rooster has taken to attacking our feet and legs when we enter the coop in the evening and now even walking by him during the day. He will eat out of my hand, treats the hens well and watches out for them well. I just got 6 new chicks hoping for some more hens, but I am thinking I may need to get rid of the rooster if he doesn't shape up. I am trying to hand hold and really work with this next batch hoping for a kinder boy. Any suggestions on teaching my rooster better manners? I would like him to stay if he could shape up.

Our roo is doing the same thing and he is in with three hens and I was thinking he probably needs more hens ! We just hold the lid of a trash can up when we go in and let him get at it until he quits and he does quit after a few minutes. Its just strange after they have been so gentle to see them act like this! Maybe someone else can offer information on this that will help us both. I want to keep my roo!
barnie.gif
My husband is so determined its the laying pellets...he says its messing up the roosters hormones..........If laying pellets help a hen to lay what do they help a rooster do??????????????
hmm.png

Last edited:
My rooster does the same thing but only during mating season. He is just protecting his hens. Mine stops after that but some roosters stay that way. I know what you mean two of my roosters use to get along fine but now they cant stand each other. I dont know what has gotten in to them. Good Luck

Could it be what you are wearing on your feet? I know our rooster is fine unless I wear my red clogs out to the barn. He hates those shoes for some reason. He tries to spur me when I do. I chase him around the pen when he tries to jump at me. He backs off quickly. Don't ever let him think your are afraid of him. Give him a good talkin to
rant.gif

if he keeps acting up or gets worse youll have to cull him.a mean roo isnt worth the trouble.

There is a guy on here from the Cajun Yankee Poultry Connection,I'm not sure of his name but he has some good advise on rooster rearing.
IMO I would try to handle him as much as possible.Reach under him not over.If you have to at night while your watching tv,bring him in the house and put a towel on your lap.Pet him as your watching tv.I know he's probably a pain but he really is just doing his job.I don't think it's his food,or the season(i don't think chickens have a breeding season)It's always breeding season.
Give him a second chance and if that don't work,chop his head off.
Will

This is normal behavior for the average rooster. He is preprogramed by nature to protect his territory if he feels his hens are in danger. Because he is small don't forget he is a stud in a small package who doesn't know he is in a small package. That little roo is the same as a bull or a stallion. Remember to handle him and treat him as such. If you can't break this behavior soon do not pass this problem on to someone else. Cull him and raise up another rooster.

MissPrissy, is there really any such thing as "mating season?" I thought roosters service the hens year-round? I have an 8-week-old that may be a roo. I'd like to know what I'm in for. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom