My rooster has started to bite

AseelMurgha

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2021
So I have 6 chickens which are 3 months old. It seems all are roosters. One of them is the biggest (along with other which is similar in size in fact this second one seems a little bigger than the first one).

This rooster I am talking about has started to bite when I put my hands in cage to feed them. No other rooster does this. There is another one which bites a little sometime but that is very rare. This one used to bite a little but now it is becoming aggressive.

If I put my hand inside cage and as long as my hand is at his eye level or even at center level of his body or above him then all is fine. But when I put my hand lower to the ground to pickup food and water bowl then he attacks. He will bite hard and try to get on my hand so he can stand on it.

What is this behaviour? He never bites when outside cage. No other chicken bites inside or outside the cage (except that little one sometime which I told you about). The other bigger rooster also never bites ever. But this one which bites seems to be the smartest of them all as he can jump higher and climb on things where other roosters can't go. He is also always the first one to come of out cage when I open its door. He is otherwise very sweet guy and likes to roam around me sometime.

Is he being aggressive or just playing?

Roosters do not 'just play'. Dont let him grab your hand, its only teachinh bad manners
Yeah I also thought about it. This seems like teaching him bad habit. Initially I didn't give too much thought and let him grab my hand and will play with it but it seems he is not playing and serious. Now today I can see bite marks on my hand and it hurts a little.

Sometime I gently hit him to teach him who is the boss but I am not sure if he will learn.

Yeah I also thought about it. This seems like teaching him bad habit. Initially I didn't give too much thought and let him grab my hand and will play with it but it seems he is not playing and serious. Now today I can see bite marks on my hand and it hurts a little.

Sometime I gently hit him to teach him who is the boss but I am not sure if he will learn.
I peck back most of my males ( a quick tap to the beak or forehead) but I do have one male that I've have to resort to quick tugs on his hackles because he's a strawhead. But usually a peck or two gets them learninh

Ok as soon as that rooster came charging I pecked him on his beak and he stopped. I could see he was a little confused lol like he was thinking what the hell happened!? Then he behaved for a few seconds and then I tried to pick the bowl again and I could see he is ready to go again. Upon which I pecked him and he stopped again.
Will keep trying this method.

Ok as soon as that rooster came charging I pecked him on his beak and he stopped. I could see he was a little confused lol like he was thinking what the hell happened!? Then he behaved for a few seconds and then I tried to pick the bowl again and I could see he is ready to go again. Upon which I pecked him and he stopped again.
Will keep trying this method.
How has this method worked for you?

How has this method worked for you?
It works great for me when the male's are first testing the boundaries. Had a little sebright and a Leghorn I was ablebro het to stop. The frizzle I mentioned though in the other post just ignored it and grabbed my fingers. Some people also suggest pinning the bird and tugging a feather or two on his neck (not out, but like when. A chicken pecks another chicken). Neither of those worked for him.

But we realized during processing a certain pair of parts was larger in him than our same aged standard male, so we're thinking he had an absurd amount of testosterone flooding hinhim

Back
Top Bottom