my rooster have redness on legs? Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovetea9, Jan 4, 2017.

1. lovetea9

lovetea9 Just Hatched

Jan 4, 2017
    [​IMG]

he is 2 years old and along with 6 hens.. i noticed something on his legs and i was thinking is it mites or inflammation? let me know and i would like to give him home remedies treatment if possible

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Thats just hormones.

Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. lovetea9

lovetea9 Just Hatched

Jan 4, 2017
    thanks!

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

My initial thoughts would be hormones also.

However... it wouldn't hurt to do a better check. I have never treated or felt the need to for parasites in my previous 5 years chicken keeping. Never saw symptoms of anything. Until we butchered our first this past month and discovered tiny bugs crawling near the vent area. My chickens always dirt bath but I refuse to use DE as I don't think it's safe to the respiratory system. I used new lumber in the coop. But we have many a wild visitors who possibly carry everything under the sun.

I haven't rushed because I am not at infestation or poor health status. But I will be treating with permethrin very soon. Here is a thread link where you might get some experienced in put.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1134783/permethrin-spray

My cockerels/ roosters get varying degrees of redness on the legs with the coldness in the air and hormonal fluctuations/ excitement.

My daughter actually happens to love tea. Many varieties all brewed at different temps and for different lengths of time according to which is best... [​IMG]

Hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by