my rooster is acting depressed

dreamcatcher12

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 1, 2014
Gaston South Carolina
My rooster isn't crowing and acting depressed he isn't even trying to chase me not sure what is going on with him can someone please help me to help him..... im not sure if im posting this in the right place but not really sure how this all works I usually read.... need help thank you

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry about your rooster!
hugs.gif

Is he molting? Does he have lice or mites? Have you wormed him recently? What does he loo like? Here is a checklist to use on him to see if he looks sick.
*Eyes-Clean, bright, alert and no fluid emerging out

*Nostrils-Clean with no unusual breathing sounds and no fluid emerging out

*Comb and wattles-Clean, glossy and plump

*Neck and head-Alert, upright and not sagging or lopsided

*Feathers-Clean, slick and well-preened

*Crop-Full and rounded in evening, empty in morning

*Legs and toes-Sturdy, firm, not lopsided and scales should not be raised (Lifted scales can be a sign of mites.)

*Vent-Clean and moist but not very wet

*Droppings-Firm, white capped

*Body weight-Appropriate for age and breed and not over nor underweight

You may want to also post here for more insight.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am sorry about your boy. If he is wheezing, runny nose, watery eyes, he may have a respiratory issue going on. To check for mites, look around vent, behind the neck, under the wings. You are looking for broken feathers, red irritated skin, and eggs attached to the feather shafts. Looks like dirt at the base of the shafts near the skin.

Definitely post this in our emergency section. Mountain Peeps has left you with the link.

Good luck and I hope you can get him all healed up soon!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom