My rooster is dancing at ME!

wings

Songster
11 Years
Jan 11, 2009
Massachusetts
I have a eight-month-old rooster mutt. (I have no clue what breed he is. See this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1611135#p1611135)
He
is very nice and will let you pick him up whenever you feel like it. He has never been aggressive to me or any of my family members.

But lately, he has been DANCING at me! I know this is a mating thing, and I have seen him do this to our hens, but never to ME!!! He doesn't hurt me or anything, but what is this about???

Is it because I'm female???
lau.gif

It may be cute, but beware because it can escalate. He is treating you like a hen. That means he might consider himself dominant. Personally, I would discourage it.

When mine does it, I pick him up and give him a big old kiss
tongue.png
he hates!! it!! hhahah mine is also a little banty and Im not worried about him at all. Most roos will give you a little dance and maybe run at you a bit as you're walking a way. Unless, he's trying to get you with his spurs, don't worry about it.

Rooster-red, I believe, has a list of do's and don't and how to discourage bad behavior. He says carrying around your roo will demote him... If he still escalates, carrying him upside down may do the trick.

it isnt a "mating" thing,, its a "dominance" thing,, he's herding you,, and when he does it, you should chase him away.. soon if you give no reaction, he will think your not getting the "hint",, so he has to scale it up 1 notch,, thats when the flogging starts,,, if you dont stop it now,, the next thread will be " my roo attacked me , what do i do?"

Back
Top Bottom