My rooster is dancing at ME!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wings, Feb 18, 2009.

1. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have a eight-month-old rooster mutt. (I have no clue what breed he is. See this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1611135#p1611135)
    He
    is very nice and will let you pick him up whenever you feel like it. He has never been aggressive to me or any of my family members.

But lately, he has been DANCING at me! I know this is a mating thing, and I have seen him do this to our hens, but never to ME!!! He doesn't hurt me or anything, but what is this about???

Is it because I'm female??? [​IMG]

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    You must be one hot chick! [​IMG]

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    It may be cute, but beware because it can escalate. He is treating you like a hen. That means he might consider himself dominant. Personally, I would discourage it.

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    He's trying to tell you that, though may be one tall hen, he is still your boss and you better listen ...or else [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. Discourage it before he steps up his attempts at domination.

6. rockabilly7

rockabilly7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Florida panhandle
    [​IMG] LOL that is really funny!!!! But I would discourage it even though it is a nice compliment!!!

7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    When mine does it, I pick him up and give him a big old kiss [​IMG] he hates!! it!! hhahah mine is also a little banty and Im not worried about him at all. Most roos will give you a little dance and maybe run at you a bit as you're walking a way. Unless, he's trying to get you with his spurs, don't worry about it.

Rooster-red, I believe, has a list of do's and don't and how to discourage bad behavior. He says carrying around your roo will demote him... If he still escalates, carrying him upside down may do the trick.

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

it isnt a "mating" thing,, its a "dominance" thing,, he's herding you,, and when he does it, you should chase him away.. soon if you give no reaction, he will think your not getting the "hint",, so he has to scale it up 1 notch,, thats when the flogging starts,,, if you dont stop it now,, the next thread will be " my roo attacked me , what do i do?"

9. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Quote:He's the size of a football... I know exactly what I would do [​IMG]

10. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    sort of off topic... But i love his Brassy back coloring [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by