my rooster is getting pecked.....help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by happychickengirl, Sep 10, 2010.

1. happychickengirl

happychickengirl New Egg

Sep 10, 2010
    My ameracauna rooster ( large ) is getting pecked ny two or three of my hens ( rhode island reds). his feathers are gone in the spots where they are pecking. What can I do to stop this????

2. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    How old is he? It could be that his 'manly' hormones haven't kicked in yet. [​IMG]

3. ray2310

ray2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Smithfield, PA
    We have had the same at times. He will stand up for himself one day and that will be that.

4. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Is he being pecked in an aggressive way, e.g. squawking and running away when he's pecked? Sometimes the hens will simply peck a rooster in a very benign way: pecking off feather residue or lice. Sometimes they'll peck at broken feathers or bare skin though, which can lead to blood. Most of the time though, a rooster won't put up with either or these forms of pecking, so I'd say just keep an eye on them and make sure he's not getting hurt. How old is he? Young roosters will often be pecked by older hens, but not really hurt.....just the pecking order taking place. He'll get more dominant as he ages.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The feed stores and online poultry supply houses sell Pick No More lotion. Worked for me when my chicks were little. It tastes bad to them. But it stains.

6. happychickengirl

happychickengirl New Egg

Sep 10, 2010
    Hi, and thank you all for your help. The rooster is not quite a year old, and the hens are three. He doesn't squack or run away, he just lets them do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by