My Rooster is Growling!???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by twzlrwho, Mar 3, 2009.

1. twzlrwho

twzlrwho Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    South VA
    Is it normal for my roo to make a growling noise? He is a Golden Lakenvelder, if that makes any difference. I didn't see any info on this breed in the breed section and I am a newbie so any help would be appreciated.[​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mine wheezes after he crows... How old is your roo?

3. twzlrwho

Feb 23, 2009
    South VA
    he is about 5 months old. I didn't know if this was a trait or if he's been around the dogs too long! lol

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

He could still be trying to work out his crow. He is young. I know my BO hens go through a honking phase while growing up.

5. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    This is something they do, it is normal. Mine did the same thing and I would growl back to him. I sure got some funny looks. I think they all do it.

6. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

He may be going through a hormonal thing. [​IMG] The hens begin to lay, and the roosters begin to be protective and the 'Master of all he sees'.
    Be a little wary of him, and continue to make sure he knows who is boss.

Many roosters will go through an aggressive phase, and then calm down again as they grow a bit.

Carla

7. twzlrwho

Feb 23, 2009
    South VA
    Thank You!

8. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    I had a cochin that really couldn't crow very well (it was one of the funniest sounds I ever heard) but he sure could growl. I had to re-home him and his brother who could crow but did not growl. My avatar is a photo of them. Crazy birds!

9. twzlrwho

Feb 23, 2009
    South VA
    Quote:How exactly do I do that? I think it is a hormonal thing, his crow is beautiful!

10. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine "growls" when his is displeased with something I am doing or about to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by