My Rooster is having to much fun with my hens.(If you know what I mean?..)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by greenpot, Apr 19, 2012.

1. greenpot

greenpot New Egg

Apr 18, 2012
    How can I slow this down? They seem to be losing there feathers as a result...I really don't want to separate them ..Is that the only way to slow or stop this?[​IMG]

2. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    A friend mine had a roo doing the same thing. They seperated him from the hens....He got REALLY nasty , so they gave him away. The hens are much more happy without him around. Good Luck!

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

How many hens do you have with this rooster?

A normal size flock shouldn't be suffering from roo wear unless certain hens are more...eager..shall we say? to be bred. These eager breeds I cull from the flock as one rooster to 28 hens is a good ratio and there shouldn't ever be feather loss there.

Most folks recommend 10 hens to one roo for adequate and equal coverage of all hens but not excessive wear on any one bird.

4. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Let him watch sports all day.....kidding[​IMG]
    How many hens does he have?
    Is getting more hens an option?

5. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Another question. Could your chickens be molting?

My roo is a sweet gentleman and the girls have never shown signs of his attentions in the past. Now there are a few birds with feathers missing and many more feathers in the coop than usual. I'm guessing they are molting rather than being abused.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

It's very unusual to molt at this time of the year. This is peak laying season(hormone high) and molting(hormone low) generally happens much later in the summer.

7. baGAWK123

baGAWK123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    I had this same problem, My advice, get the rooster out of there. Are your hens feathers gone on their head and back?? If so, it is probably because he is breeding them WAY to often. At the moment your hens are probably stressed out and living in fear, if you get rid of the rooster their egg production will go up because they won't be as stressed out. Again, this is just my advice. Do what ever you think is best! [​IMG]

Good Luck!!

8. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    My roosters mounts all of my Hens, But he does have a favorite and he is on her very more then teh rest, she seems to not mind it but he has pulled all of the feathers out of her head.

9. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Roo's over the age of 1 1/2 y. o. are not as active, nor do they tread as much when covering a hen. How many hens do yall have in with the roo? Depending on the roo (and yours sounds active), it's 10 hens to one roo. Right now I have five hens in with one roo, and they're ok, taking into consideration the roo's age and breed. So he does ok w/ five hens, but I should be putting some more in soon just b/c I want my hens to have it easier. :p

Know your roo, if you have probs now, either get a different roo, put saddles on your hens backs, or (the obvious answer) buy more hens!

10. greenpot

greenpot New Egg

Apr 18, 2012
    Wow this is All GREAT advice......! I think I can tell now what the most problem is....I have only 4 hens I do have 4 baby hens we bought but that will be a while before i can introduce them so that being said,we may for the time being separate them or check into the saddle thingy,We're not sure how old the Rooster is, my husband found him on the side of the highway,we think someone dropped him off or he may have fell off a truck.He is a very nice chicken,friendly just on the hens abit to much and the feather loss has us concerned..we are new to this chicken stuff and are learning along the way. The hens do still lay everyday,just every once in a while we get just 3 eggs but all mostly lay everyday...Thanks for you and everyone's help!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by