My rooster is no longer nice guy!

emmalemons

Songster
Jul 30, 2018
Michigan ( Grand Rapids area)
I have a chicken Gertude. She had chicks a couple of weeks ago and has her own little place to be. Today I let her go outside with her chicks. The other chickens are free range. Along come my rooster ( barred rock name Michael)and he came towards the mother and tried to start attacking her!! I stopped the fight as soon I got outside ( was looking out a window) but how do I make sure it doesn’t happen again? Will the rooster ever except her and the chicks? I’ve heard of just slowly putting them with the flock but how does that work? Also Michael never attacks the mother and her chicks in the morning when I let them out and let the chicks and mum go by the others. He kinda just looks and moves on. I never suspected this to happen!

As one of the other posters already mentioned, Michael likely was just trying to breed with Gertrude and was probably just as surprised as you were when she reacted violently and it turned into a fight. Broody hens with chicks aren't interested in breeding since they aren't laying. Experienced roosters take the hint from the way a broody postures, the constant clucking, and of course seeing the chicks swarming about, and will refrain from trying to romance a broody let alone breed with her and will shift into protective mode when around her instead. Some roosters even develop quite a bit of paternal interest in the chicks. They'll follow the family around, lie down with the broody and chicks when they sunbathe, let the chicks yank on their wattles and climb on them...it can get pretty cute. If you got any sense that Gertrude was in the process of sending Michael packing when you intervened in their tiff and he's been leaving her alone since then, I wouldn't worry too much about it happening again. The altercation hopefully kick-started his instincts about how to behave around broodies into action, and if that's so, he'll be fine.

3F9F1AFE-9FA9-4057-AF9E-1470FCDA026E.jpeg
I’d separate him , give Gertrude time to raise her babies ... such a funny name , that’s my moms name :)
that’s great! Here’s a pic:

As one of the other posters already mentioned, Michael likely was just trying to breed with Gertrude and was probably just as surprised as you were when she reacted violently and it turned into a fight. Broody hens with chicks aren't interested in breeding since they aren't laying. Experienced roosters take the hint from the way a broody postures, the constant clucking, and of course seeing the chicks swarming about, and will refrain from trying to romance a broody let alone breed with her and will shift into protective mode when around her instead. Some roosters even develop quite a bit of paternal interest in the chicks. They'll follow the family around, lie down with the broody and chicks when they sunbathe, let the chicks yank on their wattles and climb on them...it can get pretty cute. If you got any sense that Gertrude was in the process of sending Michael packing when you intervened in their tiff and he's been leaving her alone since then, I wouldn't worry too much about it happening again. The altercation hopefully kick-started his instincts about how to behave around broodies into action, and if that's so, he'll be fine.
Thanks very helpful also sounds really cute that roosters can sometimes let chicks play with them! Thanks you!

Back
Top Bottom