My rooster is no longer nice guy!

I have a roo who attacks chicks with their mother, but not the mother. He always tries his luck a few times when she comes out of the nest but gives up when she is unresponsive. But the chicks he would gladly kill if there wasn't enough space for the mother to keep them away from him while they all free range during the day. Sometimes roosters are stooopid. :he

It's best to always keep broodies separated but within sight of the flock so others can see and hear the new arrivals, but they are protected from being killed.

Often when a hen leaves or disappears for any amount of time than returns it's normal for a rooster to punish the hen. That may be what happened.

I would continue to pen mom and babies in sight. I release them daily. Sometimes there's problems and drama and sometimes not. If there's problems, separate and try the next day.

I generally don't start to let mom and chicks out until chicks are around 2 weeks as that seems to be the age when chicks are strong enough to get out of the way of other birds.

I've had roosters care for chicks and roosters attack chicks. All eventually ignored them. Keep at it with supervised mingling until you feel comfortable leaving everyone together.

Don't think too harshly of your rooster, especially if he's normally is a good one. Most times they are just working off instincts. He should calm down.

Back
Top Bottom