My rooster is not mating

Sounds a bit odd... Maybe something is a bit wrong with him unfortunately...
Just a thought... Does he 'tid bit' at all? Find the hens a special tasty treat and call them over? Maybe you could try giving him (just him) a special treat and he can call the hens over for it and maybe they will squat for him as a thank you for the treat??
Maybe you will need to rehome him and bring in a new man to do the job :)
Yes he does all that you have mentioned

Do the hens squat for him so he can get on? Or walk away ignoring his advances? Maybe he's too polite and if rejected (hen not squat for him) he doesn't jump on?
no they don't. The funny thing is that when I pet the hens they squat for me, and rooster humps on my shoe. They will never do that to each other. 🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂🤣

no they don't. The funny thing is that when I pet the hens they squat for me, and rooster humps on my shoe. They will never do that to each other. 🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂🤣
Ahhh... well we're getting somewhere here... I'm not a real expert on behaviour but I'm sure there are others on BYC that could work with this info...
Hens don't squat for rooster
Hens will squat for you
Rooster attempts to mate with your shoe
Rooster dances around hens
Rooster 'tid bits' with treats for hens
Rooster seems too nice to jump on any unwilling squatter

So... Hens won't submit to your rooster... (because they don't squat) and You seem to be the head of the flock? (hens squat for you)
You said you tried to encourage the hens by giving the rooster (only rooster) treats and he then offered those treats to the hens? Could you do this so like you aren't the one giving the treats to the rooster? So he is the one that finds the treats? - usually works to attract the hen and she submits and squats.... Your hens must be picky!

I wonder if theres some sort of way to change the hens behavior towards your roo? 🤔
Or if your not too fond of your roo then just swap him out for another roo if your wanting chicks? Maybe your hens will squat for a different rooster?

Ahhh... well we're getting somewhere here... I'm not a real expert on behaviour but I'm sure there are others on BYC that could work with this info...
Hens will squat for you

So... Hens won't submit to your rooster... (because they don't squat) and You seem to be the head of the flock? (hens squat for you)
You said you tried to encourage the hens by giving the rooster (only rooster) treats and he then offered those treats to the hens? Could you do this so like you aren't the one giving the treats to the rooster? So he is the one that finds the treats? - usually works to attract the hen and she submit and squats.... Your hens must be picky!

I wonder if theres some sort of way to change the hens behavior towards your roo? 🤔
Or if your not too fond of your roo then just swap him out for another roo if your wanting chicks? Maybe your hens will squat for a different rooster?
Thanks a lot for the advice

... by the way, my rooster doesn't proceed to jump on the hens if they do not squat for him at the time of his attempt, but when they do squat (when it is convenient for them maybe hahaha..) he does his thing... He's a nice roo. I have fertile eggs. They only need to mate once and the hen can lay fertile eggs for 2 weeks after that I think. So its not like they need to do it every day multiple times!- though most do! :lol:

Hens will squat for you

You said you tried to encourage the hens by giving the rooster (only rooster) treats and he then offered those treats to the hens? Could you do this so like you aren't the one giving the treats to the rooster? So he is the one that finds the treats? - usually works to attract the hen and she submits and squats.... Your hens must be picky!

will definitely try and inform .the thing is I got my boy as a baby chick and I am too attached to him. I just wanted him to live a normal life

... by the way, my rooster doesn't proceed to jump on the hens if they do not squat for him at the time of his attempt, but when they do squat (when it is convenient for them maybe hahaha..) he does his thing... He's a nice roo. I have fertile eggs. They only need to mate once and the hen can lay fertile eggs for 2 weeks after that I think. So its not like they need to do it every day multiple times!- though most do! :lol:
My guy is the same way, except early in the morning before the door to the coop opens. He seems to have rushing hormones really early in the day ;) Once the sun fully rises he only mates if they squat.... which unfortunatly for him most don't.... but two do!

Back
Top Bottom