My Rooster is SICK! Please HELP!!

mustangsherilyn

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 19, 2013
Hi I am a new member with BYC. I need some help with my sick Rooster. He is a Crele Polish Tophat. He is about 6-8 months old. He began having some cold like symptoms. It began when I noticed him just laying around alot. I was able to pick him up with out him trying to get away. I saw he had some clear drainage in his nose. The drainage is sticky. It will get all over him. One time I picked him up and quite a bit of clear drainage just ran out. The clear drainage will harden and turn yellow. Food, dirt, and junk will stick to it. When I would clean it off it would have a slight oder to it.. He will eat and drink a little, but not as much as he normally would. He is much thinner than he was before. He basically just stands there with his head and tail down. He will occasionally have his tail up and walk around like normal. I saw him a few different times opening his mouth wide like it was hard for him to breathe. He was making gurgling noises.

I have googled different chicken diseases. Mycoplasma, coryza, and newcastle disease. I think that he could possibly have one of these diseases. I gave him 3 Tylan 50 injections, .5ml. once daily, alternating breasts, and I put tetracycline in his water. I put vitamins & electrolytes, and probiotics in his water also. Please help! Any advice is appreciated. I am posting a video showing how he is acting.

Thanks
Sheri
0.jpg

You're doing the right thing by treating him with antibiotics, as he definitely has some sort of respiratory disease. Coryza or Chronic Respiratory Disease (caused by Mycoplasma) are my two main choices. However, keep in mind that antibiotics only work on bacteria, not viruses. Coryza is caused by a bacteria, but CRD is caused by a virus. If that is what he has, the only thing you can do is offer supportive care (feed, water, warmth, etc.) and hope that his immune system can fight the disease off.

Thank you for the information Bantamlover21. I just found out today that my Rooster has Mycoplasma. I am so sad!! Does anyone have any advice? Do I need to cull this Rooster and all my other chickens? I've heard that once they have this disease they will always be carriers. I also have some Peacocks. Can they get mycoplasma too?
Thanks

Last edited:
Thank you for the information Bantamlover21. I just found out today that my Rooster has Mycoplasma. I am so sad!! Does anyone have any advice? Do I need to cull this Rooster and all my other chickens? I've heard that once they have this disease they will always be carriers. I also have some Peacocks. Can they get mycoplasma too?
Thanks

I'm sorry that your rooster has Coryza.
hugs.gif
How many birds do you have? If it were me, and I had a small flock, I would probably cull them. Otherwise, you may be battling this disease for the rest of your birds' lives. If you can't bring yourself to cull them, I would at least cull the affected bird/birds, and hope that the rest of your flock remains healthy. I'm not a peacock expert, but I think that they can get Mycoplasma, too.

Back
Top Bottom