My rooster just attacked me!! What to do?

lovemychix

Songster
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
Moulton Iowa
I just took the chickies out some treats and I have a couple hens that I wanted to check out because I noticed their crops a bit hard. I was holding one hen and my roo came up and bit me on the hand!! I couldn't believe it. I went to give him a swat but he took off. Then came back in after a bit like he was going to charge me again. I can't let him out because he attacks my 2 year old boy when I turn my back...only when I'm out of sight does he do this. :mad:
So I love him and he's beautiful but I can't have him attacking my daughter....6 yr. Who goes to the henhouse all the time by herself. He's never bothered her but he hadn't me either. Just wanting some advice on this unpredictable roo!!
hu.gif

He needs a good talking to. And if he even looked twice at one of my kids, he would be in the soup pot. My rooster is sucj a well mannered chicken. He came at me once while he was on the roost at night and I shined the flashlight in his face and hollered NO at the top of my lungs and he hasn't even come near me since then.

You have to show that you're the dominant one. Apparently there are several ways to professionally do this (see Rooster Red's page) but I prefer the less conventional ways. These include running after said rooster waving my arms and screaming colorful phrases, as well as kicking in the general direction of the rooster while chasing until my foot makes contact.

Quote:
lau.gif
that sounds like my method.

They get to hit the wall once, if they still don't straighten up, they are gone.

Usually once is all it takes.

If you can get your foot under their chest you get some nice lift.

Meriah

I got the best advice on this right here in this forum. Whoever posted it please forgive me for forgetting who you are.

Grab Mr. Rooster by the legs and hold him upside down. Let him flap and squawk until he stops. You're not hurting him. Then just lay him on the ground on his belly. He'll lay still for a minute, then just get up and walk away.

It works like a charm.

Well...I thought I had made it clear I was the boss. We got him when he was 3 mo. old. He's got the boot before. Hubby says that steel toe and 4 or 5 ft. in the air will fix him. I guess I'll just have to see how he does and if he doesn't straighten up I'll have to give him away. He really is good to his girls but I can't have one I can't trust.

be careful holding them upside down....chickens have no diaphrams and can cause problems....But you DO have to be top roo at your house. Hold him in your arms and hold his head down by the comb (won't hurt him, and he initially won't like it...) your goal here is for him to keep him head down after you take your hand away...when he does this, you lift his head when you are ready...he'll get the message....

I had to do this with my Old English....if he ever thought about messing with me or the kids, he'd hang his head and walk away....I promise this works....best of luck to you.....

If all else fails, chicken dumplings.....all in all, a WIN WIN for everyone

Back
Top Bottom