My rooster keeps attacking my hen

Krystyn1112

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2020
I'm totally new to this . Someone i knew was getting rid of 2 baby chickens. They were 2 weeks old when I got them and I was told they were both girls but that turned out not to be the case . One.is a rooster . Fast forward 15 weeks later and now my rooster keeps attacking my hen for no reason is this normal . I'm not sure what to do. They both are great . He has never gone after me just the hen . I need help ...please

I'm totally new to this . Someone i knew was getting rid of 2 baby chickens. They were 2 weeks old when I got them and I was told they were both girls but that turned out not to be the case . One.is a rooster . Fast forward 15 weeks later and now my rooster keeps attacking my hen for no reason is this normal . I'm not sure what to do. They both are great . He has never gone after me just the hen . I need help ...please
Welcome!
How is he attacking her?
More than likely, he is trying to mate her and she is just not ready for that and won't be until she reaches point of lay (POL).
What size is your coop (in sq feet) and your run (in sq feet)?
Do you free range?
If you have the space and the time, you may want to consider adding a few more pullets to your flock so your lone pullet isn't overbred by the cockerel. Until your pullet is ready for his advances, you should consider penning him separately from her. You'll know she's ready when she squats near him.
If you can add even just 2 more pullets to the flock, once integrations is complete (this can take months) you can either keep your cockerel if harmony is restored and he stays non-aggressive towards you or you can rehome him.

Thank u so much I do give them free range there coop is big enough for 5 chickens I'm not sure square footage. He keeps pecking at he he actually made her head bleed . He keeps running at her and pecking her. I'm going to definitely take your advice and get another coop today and more hens. Thank u so much

Back
Top Bottom