My rooster killed the hawk terrorizing our flock.

Jan 12, 2024
South Carolina Greenville
Recently I woke up to clucking and I thought one thing, "That darn hawk!" I put on my shoes and rushed outside, But it was too late, My rooster, Rocky, Killed that hawk. Blood was over the coop, and our ducks and chickens, Especially our duck Abigail were quacking, My rooster stood on the body, making sure that thing was dead. His foot was against its neck and the other on his body, His entire wing was practically bones, Apparently our black australorp hen went ballistic and also jumped in, (That's just a theory though, considering she had blood on her beak which could have been because of the brutal attack or it was her attacking it.) I would not doubt if she jumped in considering she was in at least the top 3 in the pecking order, It was the same copper's hawk that was terrorizing our flock, It killed one of our neighbor's hens and tried killing the ducks in the pond, Which caused the ducks and geese to relocate, Poor things, My uncle disposed of the corpse and we cleaned the coop, Our duck Margarito got in shock because of the incident but all was well. Guess that's the end of that hawk we checked Rocky for wounds, took him back to the vet, He had one wound but that's it, I will be making a blueberry feast for him.

What great chickens! It's always nice to hear of something like that happening. We really need less hawks in this world if you ask me and I am very grateful for every chicken that helps us get closer to achieving that. Glad that your flock wasn't hurt too badly.

The only time a hawk got into the "coop" is when the coop was my old greenhouse with wide open doorways. How did a hawk get into your coop.

Also, Bravo Rocky!
It got past our dogs because well.. Hawks can fly. I think Rocky might have dragged the hawk inside the coop, because there was some feathers outside the coop like maybe the hawk tried doing another attack on a bird but Rocky put a stop to it the final time.

My BA went after a dog that got too nosy several years ago. I have no doubt your lady could have helped kill it.

My BA went after a dog that got too nosy several years ago. I have no doubt your lady could have helped kill it.
I've saw a video on the news where a rooster and hen teamed up to take down a hawk, the rooster was clawing the hawk and the hen kept going back and forth hitting the hawk on its head before running back, it's always nice to see animals work together and save eachother

Back
Top Bottom