My Rooster Lost His Wing **Graphic Photos****

Yes just trim away with clean scissors then re clean and apply neosporin do not use one with pain killer though
You got it! He made it through the night, I really hope he gets better and better.. Going to try to get some electrolytes in him today and get a clean bandage for him. Thank you. =)

I had a chick that was attacked the same way. Full of puncture holes. Neosporin is amazing on chickens. The peep healed up perfectly. Hope your boy will be good as new!

Neosporin works wonders. I had a chick that had a big wound on the back of her head from the other birds picking on her. I seperated her took her inside for a while cleaned the wound and applyed neosporin everyday and she made a full recovery

If you have regular chicken wire on your coop...if you can replace or cover all the chicken wire with hardware cloth....raccoons can't get their "Hands" or snouts thru the small openings,and grab a wing, foot or head through it...it's also really tough for most predators to chew or force their way through it....if it happened during the night....while he was roosting....I lost eight little ones to a weasel earlier this summer...it squeezed thru the chicken wire and killed the whole bunch....after that sad incident I replaced and covered all coop openings with hardware cloth and so far no more losses...hope he pulls thru!!!

Hey everyone.. This morning at around 5 AM my coop got ransacked by a raccoon. Two days before this my backyard was attacked by 2 bears, I lost 3 hens and 15 pullets/cockerels I had been raising. My coop doors were destroyed from the bear so I was keeping my birds in the very very sturdy chain link run that is lined with hardware cloth. Somehow.. Even through all this a raccoon (or something, im not 100% sure) was reaching through the links and pulled on of my easter egger girls to pieces and killed her.. I'm pretty sure my rooster was trying to protect her and ended up losing a wing in the process. He is up and walking around, rather shocked and sleepy, still eating and drinking, and seems OK but the wound is pretty bad. The blood seemed to clot okay in the past couple hours, I am just unsure about how to clean the wound and care for him to help him survive this event.. I can provide pictures if needed, thanks for your help. 
Ok....I didn't read all the posts...raccoons are persistent that's for sure!!!! I had a bear make a door thru my enclosed run and it squeezed into the pop door of the coop....tore everything apart inside....I came home to find the yard filled with frightened birds...they refused to go back into the coop and run...no treat I offered could tempt them back in...my neighbors keep the bears out of their camp by mounting old bandsaw blades around any openings that they figure a bear might be tempted to break into....seems extreme but they said it works....chain link fencing is some tough stuff....but there isn't much out there that will stop a really determined bear....so the more "Unpleasant" you can make it for them to try to get at your birds the less interested they will be...I have a red light on inside my coop 24/7...it's not so bright as to disturb the birds sleep....but if anything strange gets in at night...they can see what it is and are more likely to make a fuss..them when it's pitch black and they will sit there and not make a peep, while the intruder pulls them one at a time off the roost...as if they were stuffed animals on a shelf....I also have a radio playing all the time...on the PRI station...classical music..birds seem to like it..animals aren't sure about it...good luck...

Hey all! Updaaates..

He's doing well so far. Re did the bandage today and wound is starting to heal up a bit. We have him in a bigger crate now and still in the house. Gave him some electrolytes in his water and put apple sauce in his food, but he isn't eating much which is a little concerning. He was walking around the crate a bit too which is a good sign! I have a couple questions about when to return him to the flock if he makes an OK recovery.. He's my only rooster and my girls are pretty paranoid without him, he was definitely at the top! Should he return when he is fully healed? I'm afraid of his wound getting dirty through the bandage if I took him out to the coop again, I just know him being in the house isn't the most comfortable thing ever for him with the noise and stuff. Thanks again!

I would return him when he is a little over halfway healed then reintroduce him slowly first show him on the outside of the run in a cage or small pen they can see him but not pick at him keep in mind when he goes back he will still have to be wrapped due to dirt once they get used to him put him in the coop there may be a little fighting but it will soon be over
thumbsup.gif

glad he is doing better
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom