My rooster may have newcastle disease, please help me, how can i cure him? this disease grow fast overnight, i want to try my best to get rid of it.

FakhirKhan

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2021
3 days ago my parent bought a hen, my rooster been alone from 6 months we sold his last chicken because of bad financial conditions but honestly he looked depressed and sad without a hen so i told my parent to get a hen for him and they did, that hen was pretty active and my parent checked her when buying her and they didn't find anything wrong with her, and in the coming 2 days she was pretty active but when i woke up yesterday, her condition got very worse overnight out of nowhere, she was breathing heavily and sneezing, she was in the coop with my rooster and he got it from her too although it wasn't big for him, he was breathing a bit but not as much as the hen and sneezing like her, his voice got different too and was having little hard time crowing but was pretty active, i seperated them both fast, i gave both of them garlic since i thought they both got a normal cold and previously i have saved some of my other chicken life by feeding them garlic, however that didn't help, it's got a lot worse in a day and when i wake up today my hen died, from the smell it seems like she died in midnight, it was too fast and i didn't know what happend, and today my rooster lost his voice too, yesterday his voice was different but today it's gone, he's hardly saying anything and when he tries he sneeze, he is also breathing heavier than before but still not that much but he is a bit weak too, he is walking slow and haven't heard him crow today, but he is still roaming around and eating so it's not that bad yet, i was searching to find what might be the actual disease and after a hour my mom told me about this virus, i am from pakistan and it's a common chicken disease here called ranikhet (it's called newcastle in english) and when i searched on google, first four of the symptoms matched and only 4, there are 9 symptoms but only first 4 matched, (head twiching, sneezing, coughing and lime green diarrea) and i have heard there is hardly anything you can do to cure a bird from newcastle disease but this rooster is 3.4 years old and the most time i have ever had with a pet, i have attachment to him and i don't think the disease has gotten worse yet so i think i still got time, i have heard that ivermectin can be used as a medicine so i am gonna try to get that but is there anything else i can do? how can i get rid of this disease? sorry for my bad english.

I have bought a medicine called vibramycine which contains doxycycline, is this gonna help him? I also found this powder called Tylofurcin which is supposed to be mixed in the water so it can go in while the chicken drinks water, tell me if both of these are gonna help in getting rid of the New castle virus.

I'm so sorry about your hen.

It breaks my heart that no one has responded with advice and I wish I could but I honestly have no idea. The most I know is that the lime green diarrhea can indicate worms, and if it were head shaking (if by that you mean he's flicking his head) and the sneezing I would hope it to be something as simple as dust irritation, but... the coughing unfortunately almost always indicates something more.

Chickens are susceptible to sooo many respiratory ailments. The second best case scenario is it was something mild and the symptoms normally subside in an uncomplicated case, but the hen's symptoms were aggravated by the stress from a new environment, and maybe it was further complicated by nutritional deficiencies or a secondary infection that took advantage of the lowered immunity induced by that stress. If that were the case, treating your roosters symptoms or at the very least doing what you can to minimize stress and giving him nutrients to boost his immune system, maybe he'll get through it.

First best case scenario would be that, like me, you're a hypochondriac for your chickens and always jump to the worst conclusion! But... that's probably unlikely :(

I'm not an expert by any means, and I don't know the situation in Pakistan, and if Newcastle is really common there I don't blame you for being so worried. I wish I could help, but all I can do is wish you the best, because you have such a good heart for your rooster and were only looking out for his happiness, you deserve the world for it.

It breaks my heart that no one has responded with advice and I wish I could but I honestly have no idea. The most I know is that the lime green diarrhea can indicate worms, and if it were head shaking (if by that you mean he's flicking his head) and the sneezing I would hope it to be something as simple as dust irritation, but... the coughing unfortunately almost always indicates something more.

Chickens are susceptible to sooo many respiratory ailments. The second best case scenario is it was something mild and the symptoms normally subside in an uncomplicated case, but the hen's symptoms were aggravated by the stress from a new environment, and maybe it was further complicated by nutritional deficiencies or a secondary infection that took advantage of the lowered immunity induced by that stress. If that were the case, treating your roosters symptoms or at the very least doing what you can to minimize stress and giving him nutrients to boost his immune system, maybe he'll get through it.

First best case scenario would be that, like me, you're a hypochondriac for your chickens and always jump to the worst conclusion! But... that's probably unlikely :(

I'm not an expert by any means, and I don't know the situation in Pakistan, and if Newcastle is really common there I don't blame you for being so worried. I wish I could help, but all I can do is wish you the best, because you have such a good heart for your rooster and were only looking out for his happiness, you deserve the world for it.
he passed away on 19 january 2022 sadly, still to this day i don't know what exactly happends and at first it was rough to get through since he was first animal i had for the longest time, due to my financial terrible condition i couldn't get him a good vet and medicine, i dug him a grave in a nice peaceful area and made a promised to him to finally work and improve my financial condition then grow a chick again like i did with him from the start but this time i am gonna be in contact with a good educated vet and have medicine for my new rooster i plan to grow as a apology letter to that fluffy guy, anyway i have moved on now and trying to work on my financial condition to get a another rooster, meanwhile i got a little chicken and everythingn is going well with her.

anyway i didn't get any comments here but i did post on backyardchickens subreddit and got some info, even in the past i got better result there so i feel like reddit might be a better website to ask for help.

he passed away on 19 january 2022 sadly, still to this day i don't know what exactly happends and at first it was rough to get through since he was first animal i had for the longest time, due to my financial terrible condition i couldn't get him a good vet and medicine, i dug him a grave in a nice peaceful area and made a promised to him to finally work and improve my financial condition then grow a chick again like i did with him from the start but this time i am gonna be in contact with a good educated vet and have medicine for my new rooster i plan to grow as a apology letter to that fluffy guy, anyway i have moved on now and trying to work on my financial condition to get a another rooster, meanwhile i got a little chicken and everythingn is going well with her.
I'm truly sorry for your loss. Your love for him radiated through your words and it's comforting to know that that was the love he felt until the very end. You've made such a good promise to follow through on in his name and it sounds like your new chickens couldn't ask for a better owner.

I wish the best of luck to you and a long, happy, healthy life to your chickens.

I don't think there's a cure for Newcastle disease, we had an outbreak in southern California in 2020.

Every bird that showed symptoms of being sick got killed. To stop the infection from spreading. A lot of people lost a lot of chickens that year.

I have bought a medicine called vibramycine which contains doxycycline, is this gonna help him? I also found this powder called Tylofurcin which is supposed to be mixed in the water so it can go in while the chicken drinks water, tell me if both of these are gonna help in getting rid of the New castle virus.
Where did you buy Tylofurcin?

Back
Top Bottom