My Rooster might be a little on the submissive side....

farnorth

Songster
6 Years
Jul 6, 2013
Upper Michigan
I got a Rooster 2 weeks ago. The girls were a little hard on him. There are 6 hens in the coop (actually 8 but 2 are separated with chicks and eggs right now). They chased him a little at first and he ran and hid his head. They seem to have settled down and 3 of the hens were laying fertile eggs within a few days of his arrival.

However, the other 3 hens still occasionally give him a peck on the head or chase him a little ways but they are not beating him up. They all roost together and free range together....but these 3 hens are still not laying fertile eggs.

I would assume that eventually he will mate with these 3 ... or will he always stay away from them ? any suggestions ? He is about 1 year old. The hens are 9 months old. Will he gain confidence eventually or will they eventually accept the rooster ?

Just wondering.

Last edited:

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
My thought is to just give it time. Some ladies like to be wooed more than others

What breeds are we talking about?

farnorth

Songster
6 Years
Jul 6, 2013
Upper Michigan
Well I think he is getting his confidence lol now 5 are fertile and only one little hold out. He'll probably win her over eventually.... thanks

Top Bottom