My rooster really hates me!

Silkieroselover

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 9, 2013
Help! My Rooster hates me he is around 10 months old his birthday is in march and he has shown great signs of aggression. He tries to spike me with his spurs and likes to get cocky he recently bit/pecked my cheek and drew blood He is a brown leghorn and his name is coffee
he.gif
it makes me so mad that I picked him as a little baby chick,took care of him gave him treats petted him and treated him like he was a king and this is how he repays me.

he is in the middle

Last edited:
You know what they call aggressive roos around here? Dinner.

Tolerating an aggressive rooster isn't a good idea. This one has already drawn blood! Yes, he's got plenty of 'instinct' to protect his hens, but his offspring are likely to be aggressive too. I hate to say it, but I'd advise culling him (however you prefer...but who wants an aggressive roo?) and getting yourself a less bossy bird!

Last edited:
Thank you, I will see what I can do and if we have to get rid of him I will look for a breed nicer than a leghorn.
goodpost.gif

Thank you, I will see what I can do and if we have to get rid of him I will look for a breed nicer than a leghorn.
goodpost.gif
Oh, I think Leghorns are a perfectly nice breed, but the roos can be downright feisty! The big heavy feathered breeds TEND to be less aggressive (like Orpingtons, Astralorps, Brahmas, et al) but because every rooster is an individual...you just never know.

I'm just worried, if he bit your cheek hard enough to draw blood, what would he do to your eye? No one should have to tend chickens in a pair of safety goggles!

We had a feathered foot rooster [Cochin?] that was really nice, and a Polish mix who was never aggressive towards us. On the other hand, we've had the following who were aggressive: White Leghorn, Bantam Seabright, Buff Orpington.

The Buff Orp was big and aggressive as all git out. The Seabright was, too, but at least he was little. The white Leghorn at least learned to respect my husband, but I used to carry around my kiddo's fat plastic wiffle bat. The Buff Orp never learned, even after I planted my foot right into his chest when he flew up at me. He just plopped back on the ground and sat there for a minute, kind of surprised, and left me alone the rest of the day, but the next day, same old, same old. He even bruised my husband's leg right through his bluejeans one time, with his spurs. That one went in the pot. We let the Leghorn live out his days, because he defended his girls against a neighbor's dog one time, and lost all his tail feathers in the struggle. He was naked-butt rooster for a while. LOL

I'm raising my own RIR now, and hoping he'll stay nice. I pick him up pretty much daily and carry him around for a minute, as I read that teaches them who's boss. He just crowed for the first time this week, so we shall see what happens. :)

Roosters aren't cuddly pets like a kitten or a puppy. They are possessive of their flocks, and their instinct is to guard their flocks. He may settle down in time. Keep the spurs short and rounded on the ends. Hand feed him and if he attacks you, pick him up and carry him like a football for a few minutes, and set him back down. Don't put your face at the same level as his. If you are calm around Leghorns, and avoid quick, jerky movements, they will be calmer. An attentive rooster with quick reflexes warns and protects the flock while ranging too. I have a somewhat aggressive rooster and wouldn't trade him for anything.

I agree with you Michael - I can deal with a somewhat aggressive roo. The psycho ones you can't turn your back on are another story, but I felt that respect for that White Leghorn we had. He was so brave defending his girls, I decided he earned his place, and I just had to stay on my toes around him. :)

I agree with you Michael - I can deal with a somewhat aggressive roo. The psycho ones you can't turn your back on are another story, but I felt that respect for that White Leghorn we had. He was so brave defending his girls, I decided he earned his place, and I just had to stay on my toes around him. :)

When I was in grammar school, we had a very large Barred Rock cross that was very aggressive. I used to dodge him coming home from school until I learned not to fear him and use common sense. You just have to be smarter than the chicken, lol. I loved that rooster and was very sad when he passed away.

Back
Top Bottom