My rooster sits on a nest ... I don't get it

GeoKan

Cackleberry Curator
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Troy, Kansas
I am beginning to question my rooster's sexual orientation. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I've never really known a rooster to perch himself on a nest.
Is this common? I really haven't seen him do "his business" if you know what I mean.
barnie.gif

Here's a photo of Biff squatting on an impromptu nest I made for a hen that doesn't have any desire to go in the beautifully-made arched boxes I built for them. (He's underneath the boxes on the left side.)

I am beginning to question my rooster's sexual orientation. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I've never really known a rooster to perch himself on a nest.
Is this common? I really haven't seen him do "his business" if you know what I mean.
barnie.gif

Here's a photo of Biff squatting on an impromptu nest I made for a hen that doesn't have any desire to go in the beautifully-made arched boxes I built for them. (He's underneath the boxes on the left side.)

He appears to be dusting so orientation not a problem. I have observed almost all my roosters go onto a nest site and make a funny sound when one of the hens in his harem is about to start laying. He seems to have some role in nest site selection. Very frequently hen will lay eggs there. Under natural conditions the rooster is aware of brooding hens in his territory and he plays some role in promoting survival of offspring. Amoung domestic breeds the importance of the rooster interacting with nest site is not as evident.

Back
Top Bottom