my rooster smells

cochunk

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 13, 2011
our 7 month old serama rooster "django" since us getting him a little more then a month ago has always had a smell, we tried a bath once but that only lightened the odor. I just want to know if its something to be aware of or if thats just his manly musk.

My rooster does not smell in any particular way that I've noticed? I do get some "chicken poop" smells outside now and then, especially if it's damp or rains. But, other than that nothing I notice from the Rooster in particular.

Has his food changed over the months since you've had him? Has the smell changed with his food? From what you are saying, he isn't sick at all... just has always smelled "bad"?

Now, at 7 months have you wormed him? You have a flock, is he your only rooster? Are all your chickens the same age? Any other rooster, his offspring... do they smell bad as well? Do others, even hens of the same breed have an odor that is similar to his?

Does the odor eminate from his body... or his crop and mouth? (Or his poop?)

Use the search here on BYC to find more info on "do roosters have an odor", "worming with Valbazen", and whatever other symptoms or info you need. Sorry not to be able to be more helpful. Maybe someone else has more to input on this.

Good luck.

An unpleasantly "sweet" or rotten smell may indicate an abcess. Carefully look over every little inch of your rooster for injury. Be sure to fold the feathers back a little against the growth pattern to get a good look at the skin under the denser feathers. Also check out the gland near the tail that provides oils for the chickens when they preen. Maybe that's infected? I've heard/read that gland has to be removed if a chicken is butchered or it can impart "off" odors and flavor to the meat. I haven't had that experience first-hand so I'm only repeating what I've read.

I wondered about the odor of one of my hens and didn't investigate. After noting some unusual wetness on her back I looked and found a nastily festered wound totally infested with some sort of nasty creepy-crawlies. I bought her from someone so she may have come to me with the wound and I didn't know enough to investigate it.

Good luck.

Mine definitely has a kind of gross sweet smell. It's more of an undertone though I guess.. I never noticed it until I put him in sex jail, (housed him separate from the hens), but now it's noticable because I've identified that he smells different.. Anyways, yeah I'm wondering as well. My guess is it's musk or pheromone or something. Rooster cologne to better attract the hens.

Back
Top Bottom