My rooster snapped ..... WARNING : GRAPHIC CONTENT

svh

Crowing
Dec 24, 2019
Mid Missouri
If you don't agree with culling an aggressive rooster, or firearms for that matter, that's fine, please do not read any further. Please no comments on what I should have done.

I'm not looking for your approval or anything, just relaying a tragic turn of events that happened to me within a just a minute or two. I pray that this does not happen to anyone else, as it was NOT a satisfying experience, but one that had to be done immediately.

I had to shoot my rooster this afternoon.

Within a matter of seconds, he snuck up on me, flogged me twice, and put a significant wound on my calf, then turned on my neighbor and his wife, attacking him, and chasing his wife around the truck, before she jumped in the front seat. He continued flogging the TRUCK, then went after one of my dogs who luckily saw it coming, and fled through the doggie door, and into the house.

I gave him das boot to gain some time, and an escape rout to the house, when he started back at me, while the neighbor jumped back in the truck.

I went in and grabbed my home defense sporting rifle from the bedroom, as my scattergun was in the safe, and went back out on the porch, bleeding, and FURIOUS about the attack, and without hesitation, rained hellfire down upon that SOBing rooster, who was still all hackled up, coming right at me for round 2.

Overkill ? Absolutely.

Remorse ? Yeah, a little bit. He was a such a good caretaker of the flock, and only gave my boots the occasional peck when I gathered eggs ..... Until today ! I don't know why he suddenly became so aggressive, he was fine this morning, eating scratch and sunflower seeds from my hand. Luckily, all the girls were out back, and didn't witness the deed, or aftermath.

In my book, this was TOTALLY unacceptable behavior, and came out of the blue for no apparent reason. We were in the middle of the driveway, and he sought us out for the attack. There are children here at times, not to mention the dogs eyes right at spur level.

If anyone that has read this far, has ever seen a normally passive rooster become a raging maniac in the blink of an eye, please share your experience. I'm at a loss.

Not a rooster, but we've had 3 or 4 dairy bulls that snapped and went psycho crazy overnight and they went on the trailer to be sold as meat.
We call it demon possession, and the exorcist is the butcher. Lol. Takes the demons right out of them! :lau
It's scary to have a 1,500 pound raging beast that wants to kill you! 😱

That's nuts! You did the right thing. Our rooster used to be chill too but is now on the list to be culled once a cockrel is mature. He attacked my child and me. He doesn't do it to me anymore bc I go in the area with a fat stick but I need to have my eyes on him at all times which sucks because I'd like to enjoy hanging out with my hens. He may be pretty and protect the flock well but there's no reason to put up with a nasty rooster that is being fed and housed by you!

Back
Top Bottom