My rooster snapped ..... WARNING : GRAPHIC CONTENT

He’d have been a goner here as well. I got no time for that! I am currently roosteless as my last one tried to kill one of my hens, and viciously attacked another. He met with an unfortunate accident yesterday. I came home from work and found him chillin’ in the fridge.

7CE15C93-4E2D-4154-BBDB-92149DF34667.jpeg

As far killing a crazy rooster goes, it's just part of chicken keeping, nothing new about it and you should never feel bad for it.
^^This^^

It took me awhile to dispatch of the first. I actually liked that one and gave him too many chances (all adults here, little risk). The second one was gone within 2 hrs of his first display.

Just an anecdote to add to this thread.

I had a hawk attack and kill a beautiful Belgian D'Anver hen a few weeks ago. I found her in some underbrush missing her head and neck. My D'anver rooster was always sweet until that attack. He flogged me as I rounded the rest of the flock up (he's a D'anver, no harm no foul!). He came good after a week or so; I guess the adrenaline after watching a hawk kill one of his hens set him off and he needed time to forget about it.

One of the many reasons a roo might turn suddenly aggressive.

I left the carcass of the hen out and waited for the hawk to come back. Beautiful sight when it did. She made eye contact with us as she took off with the carcass - a thank you? I'm not sure, but I made sure the runs were hawk proof the next morning.

Hmm. The day my rooster flogged the back of my legs, I was wearing shorts for the first time that year. Maybe that had something to do with it, I don't know. But he wouldn't back off even though I was trying to knock his head off with my cane, and this went on for several minutes, till DH came and rescued me. He really hurt me. Demon possession sounds like as good an explanation as any! He'd been showing some aggression, but I thought I could control him. Never again. Strike one, you're out. And he went to the raccoons, I would never serve a bird that died that full of adrenalin and rage hormones.

Back
Top Bottom