My rooster started flogging me..

No he is still being a rude little jerk..but im not giving up on him..he did get me 4 times today..ughhhh

I walk in with a riding crop and pushed him back with it as he came at me..didnt phase him one bit..and im not afraid if him and go straight towards him and he still comes after me..and hes doing it to my husband too..the only thing i can think of is he has no place to go when we go to feed them..

He needs to be culled. They really have a little brain. Not much to train. There is no need to put up with this guy. Roosters are all over, get a nice one, or try again to raise one up.

I do have a pet theory, that roosters raised with flock mates in a single generation flock, tend to become nightmares, because they are the biggest most aggressive thing in the flock. People do not live in their chicken coop/runs. Rooster chicks raised in a multigenerational flock do not get away with this behavior as the older, bigger birds thump some manners in them. It does not work perfectly, but it does work in my opinion.

So, cull these boys, all that attacking is upsetting your hens. Wait a year, then add chicks, and let them grow up in the flock. You will have more confidence and experience and will get better roosters.

Mrs K

I walk in with a riding crop and pushed him back with it as he came at me..didnt phase him one bit..and im not afraid if him and go straight towards him and he still comes after me..and hes doing it to my husband too..the only thing i can think of is he has no place to go when we go to feed them..
I agree with Mrs. K. If he hasn't figured it out, and is now also attacking your husband, it's time for him to go. I don't know about you, but part of the reason I have chickens is that I enjoy them. If I have a chicken that is taking away that joy by attacking me every time I go out there, it does not get to stay in my flock. I won't put up with badly behaved chickens.

I agree..and if it continues i will get rid of both of them...but it has been 3 days since they have come after us..but that could change tmrw...i do have a question do they tend to do that at a young age and grow out of it or once they start thats it?? They are going to be a year next month

Update...moved him away from the hen in a separate pen and he is a complete angel!! Totally different rooster...

I agree..and if it continues i will get rid of both of them...but it has been 3 days since they have come after us..but that could change tmrw...i do have a question do they tend to do that at a young age and grow out of it or once they start thats it?? They are going to be a year next month
So you have 2 males?
And how many females?

Beekissed's tutorial on dealing with one cock/erel is great.
But you must taken into consideration the whole flock scenario.
Multiple males create and environment of competition, whole other ballgame than having just one male in the flock.

More info on your flock, housing, goals, etc. would help us help you to make a decision.

Lewis was the only rooster with ethel..rocco is in another coop with 4 hens..rocco just pecks lightly and i think he wants a treat..(thats what that group is used to) but lewis was the worst..but since we separated him from the hen he has been completely different. He was just protecting her..im assuming..

Back
Top Bottom