My rooster suddenly has black spots on his comb.

Two of my roosters have this, and they are being housed in separate places (due to fighting issues). This is the second time we have had this problem, the first being about a month or so ago when the weather was warmer, so I don't suspect frost bite.

The last time, my husband caught the rooster after a few days, and kind of brushed the spots off with soft gloves. He said it was just dirt, but I don't think so. I suspect either a kind of fungus, or scabbing from getting pecked.

They are getting much harder to handle now, but I'm going to attempt to catch and gently brush each of them. I'll let you know how it goes.

Any tips on handling roosters? One of mine is quite mean, and I swear his head swivels 360 degrees. Maybe I need an exorcist. lol.

My Buff. Hen had this last year and now my Rooster. Had a lot of rain for about 6 weeks and showed up. Sprayed very lightly Lamisil fungal spray once per week for a few weeks until it was gone. Sprayed the Rooster last week, looking better. Watch not to spray in eyes. Good luck!

It’s 90 degrees here, not likely frost bite. Our rooster had his entire comb turn hard and gray. Became very sick and died. I don’t know if it’s contagious, frightening!

My Luke has one little spot on his comb. Just noticed it, does it look like maybe he got pecked or something else

Attachments

• AB6EA789-FEA4-4348-A62C-746A6B74AB59.jpeg
    AB6EA789-FEA4-4348-A62C-746A6B74AB59.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 14
Okay, here are a couple of photos. The best I could get anyway. You can see one side of the comb, and then the other.

If anyone could give me any advice I would really appreciate it!
I am having the same problem with my rooster. It just started and it looks exactly like your photos. I don’t see any replies that clarified it - just wondering if you ever found out what the problem was?

I am having the same problem with my rooster. It just started and it looks exactly like your photos. I don’t see any replies that clarified it - just wondering if you ever found out what the problem was?
The person you have quoted has not been on since 2013 so very unlikely they will respond to you.
If you have photos of your rooster, we'll be happy to take a look.

Fwiw, the photo you quoted, the rooster to looks to have minor scabbing on the comb either from picking or possibly rubbing it against something like wire.

Back
Top Bottom