My rooster suddenly started attacking!!

Too funny! Mine went crazy the one time I dared to wear red gloves. It was do or die for those red gloves for a few minutes before I realized what was going on and took them off. He just found them to be most offensive 😆 There must just something about a moving red target!
Wow! 😂 Yes, there must be something to it!

Just be the dominant one all the time, and don’t take it personally. Once hormones kick in, all they care about is mating with hens and protecting their territory. Be firm from the beginning and never act scared or intimidated.
Of my 13 chicks I raised last year, 6 were roosters. Of the six, I only had three come at me with intent to injure. Once, I opened the henhouse door and the neighbor's cats decided to pick that moment to fight. Two roosters thought I was the threat. When they realized it was me, they stopped. Since they aren't aggressive toward me normally, I don't count this against them.

This one though was the most interesting. It was around Christmas. I had on Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer socks. They were brown with a red nose. One rooster I named Jules Verne saw those and went from being a reasonable rooster to puffing himself up and attacking my feet, trying to rip Rudolph's nose off. Apparently, Rudolph is a threat... 😅 I stopped wearing those socks, and he still attacked me another time later. I guess once he deemed the socks a threat, the wearer of the socks became a threat too. I sold him at the beginning of the year. I learned to really think about my wardrobe choices after that because I didn't want the roosters I still have (I kept three) to think I was a threat. So one thing I suggest for your new rooster, don't wear red or any clothes that have a face or animal on it.

I know they aren't supposed to be, but I have three boys who are and two who beg to jump to my arm daily for a cuddle. 🤷‍♀️ They are nine months old, and I hope they never change.
I am sorry but they probably will.... just be prepared.

Thank you so much for sending this! I will try all of the advice that is being given to me!
You're welcome! :lol:
This is the boy that I rehabbed...
chicken bush.jpg

I know they aren't supposed to be, but I have three boys who are and two who beg to jump to my arm daily for a cuddle. 🤷‍♀️ They are nine months old, and I hope they never change.
My 9 week old also likes to cuddle, he jumps from one arm to the other and then to my head. :) I hope yours and mine never change.

My 9 week old also likes to cuddle, he jumps from one arm to the other and then to my head. :) I hope yours and mine never change.
Me too! 😍

...your head? I hope yours is a smaller breed, mine is a big 8-pound boy, I don't think my head could take it. 😂

**edited to add: OH WAIT you said 9 weeks old. He's still a small boy then. Never mind!

Last edited:
Just be the dominant one all the time, and don’t take it personally. Once hormones kick in, all they care about is mating with hens and protecting their territory. Be firm from the beginning and never act scared or intimidated.

I am sorry but they probably will.... just be prepared.
Great advice! I always show am dominant, and when they give me their "I'm a big tough boy" dance routine, I just stand there and no problem. 😁 I have had to do the forcing their heads to the ground thing, but it wasn't because the rooster was aggressive as in protecting the flock - he thought I WAS part of the flock. He was trying to mate with my feet and hands. :he

IMG_6352.JPG

Mating is #1, but so far, I'm not a threat to him. And I'm fine with being #2. Patriot is a sweetheart, and his brothers are the same way. To anyone who doesn't know them, flying up to me might appear like aggression, but so far it's not. They want a perch to crow on, and then a little cuddle and petting before running back to the flock. I realize this could change, and I hope it never does. Patriot is also trained (if you only want to see him fly up to my arm, skip to the 30 second mark):

The reason I kept his brother LeeLee instead of selling him is because I don't want the new owner to turn him into soup because he flies at them. He really isn't being aggressive, but I don't think most people would understand that. He's just a little... needy. 😂

My main rooster, a big boy,
IMG_20210321_090748813_HDR.jpg
was very aggressive and would always try to sneak attack from the side or behind. I tried the pecking with fingers thing, holding him down to dominate him, spraying him with a spritz bottle, kicking at him, flailing a towel at him... Eventually, I had enough and as he charged me, I decided to kick him. Hard. Part of me thought "it might kill him" while another part said "I hope it DOES". I caught him with a full strength kick like I was trying for a field goal and I thought for sure I'd just sent him to the crock pot.

Not only did he live, he turned into an excellent rooster. He gives ALL humans a 10-foot cushion, points out the tastiest treats to his girls, watches out for hawks and keeps the #2 rooster on his toes.

Great advice! I always show am dominant, and when they give me their "I'm a big tough boy" dance routine, I just stand there and no problem. 😁 I have had to do the forcing their heads to the ground thing, but it wasn't because the rooster was aggressive as in protecting the flock - he thought I WAS part of the flock. He was trying to mate with my feet and hands. :he

View attachment 2618132

Mating is #1, but so far, I'm not a threat to him. And I'm fine with being #2. Patriot is a sweetheart, and his brothers are the same way. To anyone who doesn't know them, flying up to me might appear like aggression, but so far it's not. They want a perch to crow on, and then a little cuddle and petting before running back to the flock. I realize this could change, and I hope it never does. Patriot is also trained (if you only want to see him fly up to my arm, skip to the 30 second mark):

The reason I kept his brother LeeLee instead of selling him is because I don't want the new owner to turn him into soup because he flies at them. He really isn't being aggressive, but I don't think most people would understand that. He's just a little... needy. 😂
Awww he’s so cute!! I love the way he jumps on you when you tell him to!😂

how did you learn to train him like that?

I also how a bantam rooster that looks kinda like your rooster. Sadly, he got really bad frostbite which caused him to lose two toes😢 other than that he is a happy little boy who follows me (slowly) everywhere I go.
Here’s a picture of him 😁

Attachments

• B206AA27-614D-4D5A-AEDE-4F1C127B4506.jpeg
    B206AA27-614D-4D5A-AEDE-4F1C127B4506.jpeg
    765.7 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom